Cosmo intakes - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cosmo intakes
Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:24 AM
Anyone heard of these guys? Or own one? Just wondering how they compare to K&N and the various other CAI's we talk about in here.

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=130&pid=1358

It's the cheapest one piece cool air setup I've seen around, but I know cheap isn't necessarily better. But they're claiming 5.5hp for the 2.2L Ecotec also....

Re: Cosmo intakes
Saturday, February 11, 2006 3:03 PM
An intake is an intake, in my opinion, if it brings air into the engine then its all good

Sunday, February 12, 2006 12:24 AM
DOES NOT FIT!!!!!!!!not even close.ITs a 2.4 ld9 intake with stuff added buy a weapon r of ebay good quality! Trust me i have bought somany cheap parts.I don't Know how to convence you . I was mr cheap o you will spend more time f ing with the stupid cheap parts that don'f fit right or break .ITs just crapp don't buy crap.I thought these guy were just talking but yea buy good parts and you will be a 1000000000 times happier!

darkblade j
Sunday, February 12, 2006 6:34 AM
Well I hope you're wrong, sincerely. I had this intake on order because it's all I can afford. I know cheap isn't always the best, but I've heard enough about the weapon Rs to make me not want one of them. If I have to spend the extra $40 on something for a major brand name and still have to modify it, that's crap too. I'll stick to the cheap and pray to god I have enough skill to get it installed properly and hopefully without any trouble.

The only part that I'm concerned about is the relocation bracket for the clutch resivoir no one ever mentions it and when asked they don't know what the heck I'm talking about so I have to send pictures.....I find that kind of scary regardless of the intake manufacturer. I asked a seller of Weapon-R, Cosmo, and K&N none of them had an answer for me without the aid of pictures and their answers were all "I don't know, sorry." or "We'll include an L-bracket for you"
Sunday, February 12, 2006 5:34 PM
Well chris you sound like me a few mounths ago. First off there is a bracket from aem i think that holds your clutch fluid I have it. And second you will learn that cheap parts simply dont last or work with out @!#$ load of work .Example I bought a cat back off ebay for $215 it came the rear section did not go together so i had it weilded. Then the back mount was spliting the rubber.Then the whole thing sagged down for some strange resion.So in the end it was like $215 plus $120 to fix it so yea i could of bought a rk sport or somehting else for that and it was hassel now its welided to flange and a custom made exhaust hanger from the muffler shop.I tryed a cosmo intake it was about 3inches from letting the hood close.and if you did hook up the mounting brakket it was about 2 inches from the elbow what apeice of @!#$! And i had an old 2.4L intake to compair it 2 and it was the same bends and length just with different ports in different places! They are ripping you off!

darkblade j
Sunday, February 12, 2006 7:55 PM
Nah I've been cheap all my life, so I'm used to tinkering / modification / fabrication. :p

I figure they promise 100% satisfaction so if I'm not happy I'll give them hell til it's done right or if it's really THAT far off I'll send it back for a refund and keep looking.

I've already sent them pictures of my engine bay and more specifically the resivoir.....they claim to have not had any issues with the clutch resivoir before or even questions...so either they've been dealing with a lot of fabricators, have the relocator and didn't know it or have just been lucky that no one complained. I'm hoping that this isn't the case. As you said yours was for the 2.4 I'm hoping that they got it right with the ecotec or have at least made the modifications so that they're proper fitting / clearanced.

Yeah I know...that's a lot of "hoping" for a company hardly anyone has heard of ^_~

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. As of yet the intake is still in California "In transit" via UPS. I will be sure to let everyone know how it goes and if it sucks....well, I'll say so for sure so no one else gets pulled in by their junk.

Hehe, about the exhaust. Yeah I know that....that's why when I did the exhaust on my 81 Malibu 4dr 229ci V6 2bbl, the muffler came from a friend [2.25" in and out Flowmaster on a 97 Civic DX and hated the exhaust note...geee wonder why xD] and we just clamped it up with intent to weld but never got around to it and sold the car for $500. It was my first car and it's in my profile if you want to see it. We took all of the piping off and removed the cat so that the muffler could be attached to the end of the 2-1 collector. It was loud, deep and got me another 2-3 MPG around town plus a little more power under the hood. That car needed all the help it could get. Factory ratings were 110hp and 170lb ft....3 spd auto with no OD and a 2.56:1 final drive. 58mph in 1st and bury the 85mph speedo in 2nd....providing you have enough road to even get going that fast :p One of those 0-60 in 5 minutes deals.
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 3:32 PM
Actually I got the intake today and it fits just like it does in the picture but with two problems....it presses against the hood [hood rises when I rev] and occasionally the swell of the pipe under the rubber 90° elbow touches against the throttle control and causes it to stick at about 1500 RPM.....but honestly the rest of it looks sounds and fits really well.
Saturday, February 25, 2006 3:42 PM
Correction, after emailing back and forth to Cosmo [Canada based company] They finally told me that I "May have to bend the mounting bracket that's welded to the pipe to get it to fit properly." And so I did....and now I have no problems at all with it. Still touches the underside of the hood's insulation, but I'm not going to worry about it, it's not hurting anything. And there is definately a bit of an aprovement over 3000 RPM, compared to stock.

Lol, I didn't realize how loud this intake really was....I love it!
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 9:12 PM
I just picked up my CAI from COSMO as well. I didn't get any pictures but I'm not going to install it untill I have a few other parts like the motor mounts to help with the rubbing issues. Let me know what tips I should get when intallnig this in my car.
Thanks
Bill
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 12:17 AM
The one thing they don't tell you at all [even through e-mails] is what to do with the clutch reservoir. I'm still left hanging on this literally. Makes me nervous to have that resivoir free floating in the engine bay.

Does anyone know where I can buy a relocator?

Anyway, the installation pretty much requires a 13mm socket and a slot screw driver....I ended up pulling out my battery as well for the sake of getting the factory airbox out without too much hastle.

Mind you that this is for the ecotec....I'm not sure about the installation in the 2.4L twin cam.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search