Lowering my Compression ratio - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lowering my Compression ratio
Tuesday, November 07, 2006 7:08 PM
What is the easiest way to lower my Compression ratio.....Nothing stupid please........

Re: Lowering my Compression ratio
Tuesday, November 07, 2006 10:44 PM
There should only be one correct way of lowering your compression, changing your pistons.

Some people lower their compression by getting a thicker headgasket but this may mess with the timing chain (my head hurts but I believe it's a timing chain and not a timing belt...if I'm incorrect, forgive me) which isn't a good thing.

Overall, there is no "easy" way, it requires actual cylinder head removal or bottom end changes.

Also, just to further clarify, compression is just a ratio of distance between the top of your pistons and the bottom of your cylinder head. This is why these are the only ways you can actually change your compression.

How come you want to lower your compression?

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 11:02 PM
I'm going to be installing a GM performance stg 1 supercharger on my cavi, at work
Wednesday, November 08, 2006 2:04 AM
Andrew Anderson wrote:I'm going to be installing a GM performance stg 1 supercharger on my cavi, at work

You should be fine with your stock compression and the power range the 3.5" pulley that they supply you with brings you.

Also, lowering the compression is only really beneficial for preventing knock (detonation). Having them forged is just the icing on the cake

If you're planning on getting a smaller pulley, be sure to realize that if you get the Reflash from GM that your computer will be locked and HP Tuners won't work and you'll basically be stuck.

Also, make sure you do intercool your setup...trust me, I know 2 people who didn't at first and saw a big difference as far as heat soaking afterwards. The GM kit comes aftercooler ready but just doesn't include the heat exchanger.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search