easy hp - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
easy hp
Sunday, November 20, 2005 6:27 PM
i need to know how i can get some easy hp without spending a lot of money can anyone help

Re: easy hp
Monday, November 21, 2005 7:32 AM
well first,do you have a plan to which direction you want to go with your car,quicker acceleration,something with alot of hp,what do you want to go for,what i'm meaning is backwards planning,cheap routes and hp don't really go hand and hand

if at first you don't succeed,you should probably give up
Monday, November 21, 2005 8:46 AM
You will never gain enough hp by being cheap at building your car. Just save your money and buy things slowly, start with an intake system, then hit up a header and exhaust, you will notice a difference then. but there really is no way to gain cheap hp and be able to actually feel it...
Monday, November 21, 2005 4:49 PM
i have a k&n cold air intake and a performance exaust and racing headers i just want to know if there is any thing else i can do thats not to expencive. can you give me anymore sites for my car or is this it?
Monday, November 21, 2005 6:52 PM
If you don't want to go into the engine you could start with the basics. Exhaust header, high flow catalytic converter, upgrade the exhaust size (2-1/4" or 2-1/2"), aftermarket muffler, air intake. Changing out the fuel pressure regulator and swapping an adjustable one from Aeromotive for LT-1 engines will let you adjust the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Nitrous oxide is another upgrade. I would recommend a wet system over a dry one, because the wet system allows you to change the size of the fuel and nitrous jets giving you more control over how much HP increase you get. The dry system is limited to how much extra fuel the stock fuel injectors put into the engine at WOT. GM has a tech page www.gm.com/company/gmtunersource/html/race_shop_build_book.htm .
you can download the GM Sport Compact Build Book to get other ideas on what you want to do.
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 3:51 AM
changeing the crank pully to a lighter one,solid motor mounts(caution does shake the dash until the engine is warm and at 600 rpms)better plugs and spark plug boots, got to look around and price shop,i go with rk sport,try looking there

if at first you don't succeed,you should probably give up
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 9:05 AM
You cold also upgrade to a bigger throttle body and intake manifold, although i think they only make one for the cav and it is like 550.
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 9:35 AM
you could take the throttle body of a 5.4L i believe....it apparently fits (i would go to a wrecker for this to get it cheap just in case it doesnt work).
venom makes an intake manifold, but i hear that its actually closer to $1000. you could port match your manifold, maybe someone can describe how to do it (all you need is a die grinder)
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 6:09 PM
what car does the 5.4L throttle body come from
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 6:58 AM
its the same throttle body used on the Vortec 5300 5.3L, its used on the suburban, tahoe, yukon,silverado, envoy, sierra. Just double check to make sure its the 5.3L engine before you take it off.

did i miss any?

if you do go this route, let me know if you notice any gains.
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 3:30 PM
CivicKiller wrote:its the same throttle body used on the Vortec 5300 5.3L, its used on the suburban, tahoe, yukon,silverado, envoy, sierra. Just double check to make sure its the 5.3L engine before you take it off.

did i miss any?

4.8, 5.3, 6.0l are all the same. also find out if you have a throttle cable or if it is drive by wire. the trucks use both too. if u have a j body (sunfire cav) it will be a cable. If u have an A body (cobalt pursuit) it will be drive by wire. good luck make sure you can return it if it doesn't fit

Thursday, December 15, 2005 8:58 AM
yel06gt . wrote:
CivicKiller wrote:its the same throttle body used on the Vortec 5300 5.3L, its used on the suburban, tahoe, yukon,silverado, envoy, sierra. Just double check to make sure its the 5.3L engine before you take it off.

did i miss any?

4.8, 5.3, 6.0l are all the same. also find out if you have a throttle cable or if it is drive by wire. the trucks use both too. if u have a j body (sunfire cav) it will be a cable. If u have an A body (cobalt pursuit) it will be drive by wire. good luck make sure you can return it if it doesn't fit

you are right, i just checked and one of the latest updates for 2006 on the vortecs is a larger 87mm throttle body, the one referenced in the gm book is for the older 5.3L vortec's with the 75mm throttle body....i am pretty sure this means 2005 and older.
the gm build book also references an intake manifold used with this throttle body, so getting the throttle body itself prob wont be worth it....plus this for the 1000hp build and im guessing that isnt what you would be looking for

Reference
Friday, December 30, 2005 7:19 AM
No such thing as cheap horsepower.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:49 PM
sure there is. spray that bitch
Monday, February 13, 2006 1:04 PM
the cheapest way i know is a set of injectors. i HEARD a set of 5.3 V8 injectors work but go with after market like venom or bosch.
Friday, February 17, 2006 10:09 AM
The cheapest power adder you can add is behind the wheel in the driver seat. I've seen pour drivers get mid 16's and average drivers gettin high 15's and not the least great drivers get low 15's in the 1/4 mile and that with the same cars.

A cheap way of putting more power to the road is also by remouving weight from the car; 100 lbs is 1/10 in the 1/4 mile.

Great tires also can influence a great deal.

Most often a good tune-up can free afew HP robed by carbon deposits or else.
New spark-plugs, clean air filter, clean gas filter, clean throttle body, intake plenium, synthetic oil, fuel injector cleaner, premium gasoline....etc !

2003 Ecotec Z24
14.88 @ 93.92 mph

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:32 AM
Speaking of easy hp, does any one know if there is a chip out there for the ecotec motor? I have and 05 cav and i want to get the stock speed limiter to shut of instead of going 106 sput sput sput.
Friday, March 03, 2006 12:29 PM
any update on if the 5.4l throttle body will fit?
Saturday, March 04, 2006 10:36 PM
The 5.4lL engine is a ford v8 for trucks. My dad is a gm tech and he says the 5.3 throttle body is a 3 bolt setup were the 2.2 ecotec is a 4 bolt set up so i dont think it will work. key word is i dont THINK it will work if any one has done it then let me know because i can get one for FREE.
Monday, March 06, 2006 3:44 PM
hey blk04cav, if you can get one for free, why dont you help us all out and try it out. considering you wont loose anything, since you can get it for free. or get one and send it to me. if it dont fit i will send it back. since you can get one for free.
Wednesday, July 12, 2006 8:11 PM
Quote:

4.8, 5.3, 6.0l are all the same. also find out if you have a throttle cable or if it is drive by wire. the trucks use both too. if u have a j body (sunfire cav) it will be a calbe. if u have an A body (cobalt pursuit) it will be drive by wire. good luck make sure you can return it if it doesn't fit

i have an 05 cobalt which is an a body drive by wire. now i was just wondering if anyone knew a specific vehicle that i could find the 75mm throttle body from

Monday, July 17, 2006 11:38 PM
chev_cav04 wrote:You will never gain enough hp by being cheap at building your car. Just save your money and buy things slowly, start with an intake system, then hit up a header and exhaust, you will notice a difference then. but there really is no way to gain cheap hp and be able to actually feel it...
not true! i have seen good gains with just a few mods. porting/ porting the intake mani and porting and portmatching the exhaust manifols removing the bong and putting in a K&N drop in air filter. i have done this to 3 cavs and 1 cobalt SS everybody likes the change in the cars. that is what i call cheap mods.

see ya!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 2:19 PM
I had my '00 Saturn L-200 running mid-10's with a CAI, exhaust, wheels and tires, and a bit of playing with the programming in the BCM. I could totally blow any Mustang on the street with the exception of the shelby, or something modded over 500hp. I ran against ricers all the time and blew by them. Currently have my Vue, (same ecotec engine,) shaved from 16 to about 14. All I have done with it is modify the intake, and remove some unneeded weight. it is poissible to do it cheaply, but you won't see real results until you start forking out the cash.
Sunday, August 06, 2006 11:06 AM
^^^^

Friday, October 13, 2006 9:40 AM
there is a 100.00 way to get real hp but it will destory the engine if its not built

and you can do this on any car. it realy works
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search