Stock Ecotec 2.2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stock Ecotec 2.2
Thursday, August 09, 2007 12:56 PM
I'm curious, if I purchase a stage 2 turbo kit, how much PSI, horsepower, and torque, can the stock ecotec 2.2 engine sustain before breaking. What would be a safe PSI setting for the stock motor? I'd be using this as a daily driver.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Stock Ecotec 2.2
Thursday, August 09, 2007 11:37 PM
I think I found a safer more reliable way to do an upgrade. See below URL. I wouldn't have to do any motor modifications would I? Just bolt this on to the manifold and toss a belt on it? Would I need to any HPtuning etc, or can I simply bolt this on and a way I go?

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/Ecotec-22L-CavalierSunfire-Supercharger-Kit-17800003-P1377C0.aspx

Friday, August 10, 2007 1:11 PM
Mike Johnson wrote:I think I found a safer more reliable way to do an upgrade. See below URL. I wouldn't have to do any motor modifications would I? Just bolt this on to the manifold and toss a belt on it? Would I need to any HPtuning etc, or can I simply bolt this on and a way I go?

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/Ecotec-22L-CavalierSunfire-Supercharger-Kit-17800003-P1377C0.aspx

You would still need to have your computer re-flashed at a dealer w/ the supercharger program, or use HP Tuners to program it yourself. And the blower manifold is set up for an intercooler, but you have to purchase additional parts to have the intercooler set up.

AMERICAN ROAD WARRIOR!
"Life is a highway...AND I'M FULLA ROAD RAGE!"
1973 AMX 360 AMC
1987 T-Type Turbo 3.8
2004 Cavalier 2.2 Ecotec
Monday, August 13, 2007 2:58 PM
ntercooler is not necassary but recommended. as a dd i would definitely intercool it. also, either way turbo'd or charged you'd need the reflash dealers wont give it for the turbo. i myself am gonna charge my 2.2L ecotec. does that come with all the parts? if not check out paceperformance they sale you all but the intercooler stuff.

- 2003 CHEVY CAVALIER LS SPORT ECOTEC -

- Current Mods -
-- Vibrant Exhaust & DC Sport Header --
-- Lower Motor Mount & TTR Upper Motor Mount --
-- B&M ShiftPlus & Vibrant Front STB --
-- K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake --

RIP DAD<3 We love & miss you so much!
Thursday, August 16, 2007 3:44 AM
RFOGALX wrote:ntercooler is not necassary but recommended. as a dd i would definitely intercool it. also, either way turbo'd or charged you'd need the reflash dealers wont give it for the turbo. i myself am gonna charge my 2.2L ecotec. does that come with all the parts? if not check out paceperformance they sale you all but the intercooler stuff.

It's a full kit, same kit Pace Performance sells, they are both authorized GM Performance Parts dealers.

I would say just figure out what you want out of your car performance wise and how much you want to ultimately spend. Even buying a kit in either circumstances, do you understand how they both work? It is easier for someone to buy the GM kit and have the dealer put it on and have them reflash it cause you literally do no work but it can still come out pricey when you add everything up.

As far as what the stock motor can "handle", there is no magical number that people can tell you cause 90% of the time I've seen a motor go, it was because of the lack of monitoring or lack of care in one or more departments and not physical engine abuse and wear that caused it to fail and the power numbers they were making ranged all over the place.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search