LSJ, LK9, L61 or 2.4 for my swap? - Performance Forum

Forum Archive
This thread has been archived. Posts that have been archived can not be replied to.
LSJ, LK9, L61 or 2.4 for my swap?
Monday, September 10, 2012 5:41 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm new here, but not new to 4cylinders. My previous race car was a Honda S2000 N/A 300hp that won many races.

I currently have the option of building a total Frankenstein track car, and the Ecotec family looks a good choice due to cost vs. hp.

The car in question? 1969 BMW 2002 that is basically an engine-less car that is in fairly decent condition. All I have to do is build a cage, get suspension and do the engine swap. I'm fairly familiar with engine swaps, so that's not a big fright for me. I would like to get some information from you guys and elsewhere regarding the differences of the different Ecotec engines.
I've done a fair bit of research already, and what I have found is that the gen II engines are the preferable models, but they are fairly cost prohibitive. So, due to cost considerations, I think I have to stick with the 1st gen.

So, out of the 1st gen, which are the preferable engines? My goal is to make somewhere in the neighborhood of 185-225 whp and I'm pretty sure it will have to be boosted to get there. N/A would be ideal, but seems that these engines are not revvers like the F20C and respond well to boost anyway.

Am I on the right track?

BTW, the car is mostly going to be a track car at 1900lbs, so driveability of the engine is not that important as long as I have power at 4000rpm and above.

I look forward to your comments.

David

Re: LSJ, LK9, L61 or 2.4 for my swap?
Sunday, September 16, 2012 1:31 PM
To me it looks like a LK9 would be the best choice for you if you can get a complete one with the turbo system still on it. Just drop it in a go.

The L61 would need boost, but could handle your power goals on stock internals.
The LSJ would be my 2nd choice after the LK9, but in a RWD application the throttle body would be pointing right into the firewall.
The 2.4L(LE5) would be my last choice mainly because of the VVT. I am unsure if there are any aftermarket stand-a-lones that can run it.

Forum Archive
This thread has been archived. Posts that have been archived can not be replied to.

Start New Topic Advanced Search