Hard shifting auto? - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hard shifting auto?
Sunday, January 08, 2006 6:36 PM
Today I was out for a cruise in my mother's car, just keeping the battery charged up til she returns, and I decided to...well....not let the dust settle on my tires.

I goosed the car into passing gear at a low speed. not quite sure how low, but when the car shifted into second gear the whole front end shook. The dashboard rattled hard enough to make the CD player skip. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions....aside from don't do that again? :p

Re: Hard shifting auto?
Sunday, January 08, 2006 6:38 PM
Forgot to mention that her car is a 2002 Cavalier LS Sport, 2.2L Ecotec, auto trans.

The only modification is the same as my car, a simple drop in K&N Filter, but hers has about 31,000 miles on the drivetrain.
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 7:46 PM
Had a thought....could it be the traction control trying to keep the tires from spinning?
Friday, April 14, 2006 7:25 AM
my car does the exact same thing. its something with the ecu that turns traction control off, which most j-body owners know that you have to have the transmission in 1 or 2 for the ecotec drivers, to have the traction control turn off. anyway, u need to take your car to autozone or whatever car parts store you are near, that has a diagnostics tool. they can plug into your ecu and check the code to see whats up. hope this helped

ty
Friday, April 28, 2006 10:21 PM
I figured it was the TCS trying to keep the tires from spinning on the 1-2 transition. Even under normal cruising the 1-2 shift is hard enough to make the car jump a little. I just thought it was weird.
Saturday, January 13, 2007 1:20 AM
thats weird on my 2005 cavalier the shifting is almost not noticeable .. its so smooth u cant feel it unless u really pay attention and look at the tach.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search