Hello, When I bought up my 2006 Pontiac G6 with an Ecotec 4 the dealer told me to ignore the oil - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hello, When I bought up my 2006 Pontiac G6 with an Ecotec 4 the dealer told me to ignore the oil
Sunday, February 11, 2007 11:29 AM
change computer and bring my car in for an oil change every 3000 miles. The dealer sends me a reminder card every three months or so. Should I ignore the computer? GM experts like Mr. Goodwrench claim the computer has been calibrated after years of testing and is completely accurate. Is this something specific to the ecotec? I prefer to change my own oil, what should I do? The computer says I still have 70% life remaining with the oil, I hate to throw it out if it's still good. I'm using supertech full synthetic, which suppose to be better than what the computer is calibrated for. I plan on keeping the car a long time.
Anyone else been told this?
When do you change your oil?
What oil and filter do you use?

Thanks.

Re: Hello, When I bought up my 2006 Pontiac G6 with an Ecotec 4 the dealer told me to ignore the oil
Tuesday, February 13, 2007 9:54 AM
Sounds like your dealer is trying to scam you hardcore. If you were using dino oil, a 3000 mile oil change interval isn't terribly excessive - it's a good, safe number to stick with. But if you're using synth oil, then an oil change every 3000 mileswould be wasteful. Depending on the brand, viscosity, etc. you can get -reliably- about 7500 miles between oil changes. I've heard of people who change their synthetic every 3000 miles, but realistically, you'd just be wasting good oil.

As for the oil computer on your car, from what I've heard they're pretty trustworthy. They actually use a spectrometer to measure the particles in the oil, so the number you're seeing on the dash is a real-time estimate, and not just a number ticking off on a timer.

Besides all that, in the manual to my 04 Classic (2.2 Ecotec L61), it says that you can get 7500 miles out of -regular oil- if you mostly drive long trips.

To be honest -and I'm ashamed to admit this- I haven't changed my oil in quite some time. Like 20,000 miles, i think. Literally. And despite me and my bad habits, the engine still runs smooth. Please, if you read this, go knock on some wood for me. =)

So, the moral is, trust your own judgement, and if not, then trust the owner's manual. But DON'T trust the dealer.
Re: Hello, When I bought up my 2006 Pontiac G6 with an Ecotec 4 the dealer told me to ignore the oil
Saturday, September 01, 2007 12:31 PM
cheap insurance is what it is. want to save 60 bucks a year by stretching out your oil change intervals? big risk for such small savings. check this: sure, synthetic oil lasts longer than conventional... we all have established that. you don't need to worry about that as much as you have to worry of the oil filter clogging or microscopic metallic particles wearing your engine slowly, or sulfur from blow by gasses combining with water to make sulfuric acid...unless you drive 100 percent highway, change it every 3k. also, you are not considered on the highway if you are passing and accelerating hard. a good rule i use is to change oil every 10 tanks of fuel, i go 300 miles on a tank, and if i do more city driving than i naturally change it sooner, coz city driving uses more fuel. if you really don't like spending 100 bucks a YEAR on oil changes (a lousy 8 bucks a month), convert your car to CNG, as the lowered hydrocarbons reduces oil fouling, but converting to CNG? about 5000 bucks. stick to the 3k or 6 months whichever comes first. that means if you drive 3000 miles a year you are not exempt from the 6 month rule. i work for an auto dealer, so i know oil. take it EZ!!!!
Saturday, September 01, 2007 12:34 PM
oh and you can trust the dealer. they're not trying to scam you, it will seem like they are if you have a blown motor from not changing your oil for 20000 miles.
Sunday, September 02, 2007 10:02 AM
Super old post, but 3mo/3Kmi oil changes are a complete waste for a modern passenger car application. This horse gets beaten all the time. It's common sense, A dealer service dept wants you in the door as often as possible to sell you services. I certainly wouldn't go beyond 1yr or 10Kmi, even on a synthetic engine oil, but 3/3 is ridiculous. If you take your Ecotec in every 3K for an oil change, I guarantee your oil change 'professionals' will destroy the oil filter housing cap, mangle your drain plug and screw up your pretty plastic engine cover as time goes on.

Joel

2007 Cobalt LS 4dr, 2.2L, Auto, bone stock deluxe poor man's package.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search