Guages Messed Up - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Guages Messed Up
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 2:14 PM
Every once in a while my spedometer will either be stuck or not work at all. also my temp guage sticks or skyrockets all the way to the top but the enginge is cool. Any ideas? i been driving around with my spedometer like this for almost 2 months and im scared to get pulled over..........HELP!

Re: Guages Messed Up
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 7:46 PM
1. you won't get pulled over, basically what it amounts to is for the time being your the judge of how fast your going since the speedo is inoperative if your passing other cars left and right chances are good your really booking it. The thing with the speedo sticking and we had another car that had that same problem is that on the J's if you back up, let's say for example the speedo sticks at 45 mph if you put it in reverse and back up the needle won't drop back down to 0 or below it will only go higher like 50 or even 55 maybe. But yeah as long as the speedo either one sticks or does not work at all your the judge of your own speed as for the temperature gauge, if you know for a fact the engine has no leaks and is in no danger absolutely none whatsoever of overheating you really don't have much to worry about. Now on the other hand if the engine has soft radiator hoses leaks pouring out everywhere you look then yes otherwise again your sort of the judge my theory is if your engine were seriously running too hot, with or without the working gauge you would probably get a red idiot light in the dash warning you something is wrong .
Sunday, March 09, 2008 7:37 AM
I've went through this before. I have an 03 Sunfire Eco and it appears that some of the cluster gauges produced were defective. My advise to you is to save your money and get your cluster gauge replaced. It cost me about $400 but your price may vary. I had mine replaced at a local GM dealership and thats why the price is so high. Also you shouldn't be scared about getting pulled over for the gauge because its not something that cops look for its more or less an "add on" if you will. If you get pulled over depending on the Cops mood he will give you a ticket for the only thing he pulled you over for or he will look for more things to add on. Being as your gauges are malfunctioning you can be given a ticket for defective equipment on a vehicle. Just get it fixed ok. after I replaced mine i noticed a better response to my RPM and speed being as that it was reading out correctly. Good Luck.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 10:41 AM
Good Point Marc.
Sunday, June 01, 2008 5:11 PM
Late but I just found this place. I had similar with my daughters 03 cavalier. Temp and gas gauge were wrapped around half again. Found a site that sold on ebay and bought a new cluster for around 50 bucks. After tearing off the dash top and digging it out it just plugs in and the computer sets everything like mileage right were it goes.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:52 PM
Ecomadness wrote:Every once in a while my spedometer will either be stuck or not work at all. also my temp guage sticks or skyrockets all the way to the top but the enginge is cool. Any ideas? i been driving around with my spedometer like this for almost 2 months and im scared to get pulled over..........HELP!

You can get new surplus clusters off Ebay or at least you could last year. That will likely solve your problem. No worry about odometer as it will automatically reset to the proper mileage. There is a site that does rebuilds out there that posts the exact procedure and hidden screw location and the order to take them out. I got my cluster for around 50 bucks and it just shoved in after the dash got peeled down deep enough..
Wednesday, November 26, 2008 12:49 PM
I had the same problems I went to the junk yard and got one. GM told me it happens a lot with off road cars and trucks, or when you have a lot of bass and you make you car rattle around
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search