100,000 miles engine knock - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
100,000 miles engine knock
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 10:49 AM
I just bought an 02 Alero yesterday, and got it home and hear this engine knock. It is a click coming from the left side of the engine. I took it to a shop I deal with a lot, and they said its probably the tensioner on the timing chain. I read on here that at around 100000 miles, the tiiming chain stretches, and the tensioner picks up the slack. But I also read that when the chain is about to go, the chain makes a loud noise that you can hear in the cabbin.

The click isn't that loud, but you can hear it in the cabin, if you have the radio off and listen closely. It clicks about once a second at idle, and speeds up when you rev the motor. What would be your advice.

Re: 100,000 miles engine knock
Monday, September 29, 2008 5:24 PM
well on the ecotec motors if u havent owned one before the direct injection clicks and a lot of people that don't know the motor like to misconscue it with something else i know i did at first until i came to this forum. Next time your under your hood try and listen closely to the injectors and that might be your noise.
Monday, September 29, 2008 5:59 PM
2.2 eco's didn't have direct injection in 02. But it still could be you injectors clicking away. still timing chain could be the cause.

However, if you just bought it take that thing back, if you can.
Sunday, August 11, 2013 5:45 PM
i have a "knock" coming from the right,drivers side, of the motor. its a 2.2L L61. before i spend money on the timing set i wanted to be sure what it is.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search