140K my 02 cavalier is on it's last leg. - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
140K my 02 cavalier is on it's last leg.
Friday, September 26, 2008 7:56 PM
Hello new to the forum. My ecotec has 140K on the odo and it has started to leak oil and sounds really rough upon start up. I had to have the timing chain replaced not to long ago and it just seems to run rough and i am afraid to push the engine any further. My question is what is the average life i can expect out of this engine before it just goes out on me. Thanks for the help.

Re: 140K my 02 cavalier is on it's last leg.
Saturday, September 27, 2008 3:25 AM
Did it only seem to run rough after the timing chain replacement? Or was it doing that before?
Saturday, September 27, 2008 11:33 AM
when they opened up the engine to replace the chain they noticed alot of sludge built up in the engine and they said they cleaned out as much as they could but I think there is still some in there and that is causing it run rough. I changed the oil and replaced the filter and it helped but still on start up it sounds the worst.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 1:06 PM
They make engine cleaners that are "supposed" to clean out sludge and junk. I've used one before, it made a hell of a lot of smoke, but seemed to work. I forget what it was called though. It came in a little black bottle and you put it in your oil filler.
Monday, September 29, 2008 5:18 PM
They also have a cleaner called seafoam that i use every other oil change that cleans out the carbon in the cyclinders that will also help. If u have sludge in the engine sounds like u needed to change the oil more often or you have rediculous blow buy.
Monday, September 29, 2008 5:34 PM
Today i did run seafoam in the engine i put it in the gas tank and put some through the vacuum line on the break booster. It did blow a lot of white smoke and seemed to help. I plan to buy some more and put some in the oil right before i change it and i also have plans to change the spark plugs. Today well sitting at a light the idle would drop and then rise again and it seemed to bogg down a little when you first start to drive forward. Hoping a fresh set of plugs some new oil and new fuel filter help with the problems that came up today.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search