Valve Tick? - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Valve Tick?
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:36 PM
Hey guys,

Since I got my car (02 Grand Am with Ecotec, 62K KM's) I've noticed some valve tick. I've heard this to be normal with some of the Ecotec motors, but is this something I should be looking into. Not flashing any codes or anything. I can get a video if need be, so you can see what I'm hearing. Thanks in advance

Re: Valve Tick?
Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:35 PM
Make sure its a valve tick first. the injectors on the ecotec are noise and alot of people mistake them for valve noise
If its not setting a code i wouldnt worry about it bc the knock sensor will go off it its a problem.
Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:19 AM
No codes are set off, the dash is clean (No Lights)

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 9:09 PM
the lifters make noise in higher millage cars when people dont change the oil every 3k miles or less
Monday, December 21, 2009 1:18 AM
Change the oil every 3000 you will be ok. Don't be cheap use synthetic only. Mobile 1 or Castrol. Use good plugs. People who use cheap parts get @!#$TY results. Remember that. I buy only Bosch stuff. I Don't worry about breaking down. Your injectors are loud as hell though. Make sure its not that first. Disconnect the injector see if it stops or continues.

Micahel Burns
Planet green Automotive
Sunday, January 03, 2010 8:55 AM
check your piston rods bolts my ecotec motor made a ticking from my value train. long talk short some times a sound can come from the bottom of the engine can make it sound like its coming from the top of the motor. what happen to my motor was on the piston bolt came undone and throw the piston rod throw the side of the block.
Sunday, February 28, 2010 8:12 AM
mike feeney wrote:the lifters make noise in higher millage cars when people dont change the oil every 3k miles or less

Now if ecos only had lifters.....

But yes our injectors can be quite loud. How does the car feel performance wise?

Sunday, February 28, 2010 8:47 AM
Nothing wrong with performance. Works just as good as when I bought it with 58K Km's this time last year (Has 81K now). I'd assume it's the timing chain making the noise, due to low oiling (02's have this problem) Hoping to get the Hayes manual for the car and replace the oiler and tensioner for peace of mind.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search