Oil leaking from beather on valve cover - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil leaking from beather on valve cover
Tuesday, March 03, 2009 5:10 PM
I just purchased a 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier. I found out the previous owner experimented with some diffrent cams seeking increased performance. The original cams are back in now, however now the hose that lead from the valve cover from to the air intake has been replaced with a small beather to keep oil out of the air box. Which leads us the real problem. While the engine is running the breather is leaking an oil and fuel mixture, and smoking. Any ideas???

Re: Oil leaking from beather on valve cover
Tuesday, March 03, 2009 7:16 PM
Run a vacuum hose line to your intake tube. After the filter, but before the throttlebody. That's what the stock setup is.
Saturday, March 07, 2009 9:17 PM
NO NO NO. If u are leaking that much crap there is no way u want that running to your intake. I would take the valve cover off and check. He probably took the oil retainers off to fit the bigger cam set ups. There is no way that much crap should be coming out of that breather. I have a filter breather myself and it has never done that. U want smoke just follow Mr. Choo there and u will have lots of smoke when u but that junk back into your freaking combustion chamber.
Saturday, March 07, 2009 10:35 PM
Thats funny, cause mine leaked oil, and after i re routed it back to the intake, no loss of oil and no burning of oil and no smoking out the exhaust.
Saturday, March 07, 2009 10:38 PM
Hm well then u guys both go something screwed up. There should be no reason for oil to come out that breather tube with the oil baffel that is in front of it to keep it from doing that.
Friday, June 12, 2009 12:23 PM
i have a breather on my car at the same place and you cant see anything coming out of it.. you can hear air and feel some air coming out of it, but nothing else. when i take it off to inspect the inside of the breather, there is a very minute amount of oil in it or it could just be carbon dioxide with dirty condensation. but either way that is just from what would have entered the plenum to go back into the throttle body. so i must agree with caleb, you guys have something wrong. have you checked your oil levels. it would be funny if both of you had way overfilled on your last oil changed.
Friday, June 12, 2009 4:02 PM
Thank u chris
Monday, June 15, 2009 8:41 AM
your welcome man
Wednesday, September 16, 2009 4:35 PM
Caleb Douglas wrote:Hm well then u guys both go something screwed up. There should be no reason for oil to come out that breather tube with the oil baffel that is in front of it to keep it from doing that.

Uh sure.... So running a catch can off that is completely pointless? Or do you want to tell me that my engine is screwed up because my "ricer filter" turned from white to brown?

Oil coming from the breather is nothing to be concerned about as long as you clean the residue up or run a catch can(a cheap ebay one will work).

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search