timing chain - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
timing chain
Saturday, November 21, 2009 11:56 AM
i have an 03 ecotec 2.2. changed timing chain 2 years ago.about 20k ago know it has 89k sprockets guides look good. I replaced tensioner. Still jumped out of time a few teeth..Do i need to replace the balance shaft chain and tensioner..that chain felt a little loose..why does it go out of timing..any suggestions anyone

Re: timing chain
Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:10 AM
if the chain feels loose, probably better to go ahead and replace it although from what i've heard on here that particular chain rarely if at all goes bad/breaks. But by all means if it feels loose go ahead and do it , you might end up lucky and just need a new tensioner or something but since ours are interference engines if the chain snaps your engines just sprouted a set of wings
Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:14 AM
Timing chains in these engines have a problem with stretching, but usually around 100k. I would change everything just to be safe
Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:04 AM
what about chain follower???

Ed
Agua Dulce, So.California
1950 F1 street rod
1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.
1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame
1970 Baha Bug (going for some major suspension changes)
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp.
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:35 PM
i know this is an old post, but this is for anyone looking for info currently. just tonight i got done replacing both my balance shaft timing set, as well as the cam timing set. you can get the cam timing set for about $140 from advance autoparts, and it includes all guides, chain, tensioner, and gears. the balance shaft set comes with chain, guides, tensioner, and gears as well and costs about $120. if you are going to do it, do it right and replace the entire set. you are already tearing it down, just replace it all and then you know you have good stuff in yer engine : )
Monday, July 09, 2012 11:06 PM
ray younger wrote:i know this is an old post, but this is for anyone looking for info currently. just tonight i got done replacing both my balance shaft timing set, as well as the cam timing set. you can get the cam timing set for about $140 from advance autoparts, and it includes all guides, chain, timing chain tensioner, and gears. the balance shaft set comes with chain, guides, tensioner, and gears as well and costs about $120. if you are going to do it, do it right and replace the entire set. you are already tearing it down, just replace it all and then you know you have good stuff in yer engine : )

Yeah just to be safe, replace everything in the timing chain tensioner. Better be sure than sorry afterwards. And hey ray younger, thanks for sharing such information.
Saturday, October 13, 2012 1:24 PM
I have a 2002 saturn L200, stick with the 2.2L and 133,000mi. The other day car is running fine coming home from work, I backed into my parking spot at home, let the motor idle for a few seconds and turned it off. The next day, I went out to start it and the starter turned the motor over but would not start. Fuel pump is okay, sounds normal. Pulled the plugs, got good spark. Compression check, no compression. I took the valve cover off and the front motor cover, the timing chain was off the timing mark by a couple of links, both cams and crank. I figured worn parts, so I went to advance auto, bought the complete kit, put all new parts (chain, gears, guides, tensioner), and timed the engine using the marks with the unique links on the chain. Putting all of the chain slack between the exhaust cam gear and the crank gear, I engaged the tensioner. The chain checked tight with no slack anywhere. Using the crank bolt, I turned the motor over by hand and watched as the timing jumped with each rotation. I'm stumped, can't see how it can still jump timing. Anyone have any suggestions?
Saturday, October 20, 2012 3:59 PM
Here is an explanation from another forum:

"the chain will only line up to the color link once out of every like 16 or 32 revolutions of the crank. the chain snapping on top is normal. if you have the tensioner in right and all that, then everything should be ok once it fills with oil and all that."

Here is the post:
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=403805&t=281846
Saturday, October 20, 2012 5:51 PM
Thanks COBRA. This sounds very hopefull. I'll do a compression check and see if I can put this 2.2 back together before it snows again, (Michigan). John
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search