Another Timing Chain Question - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Another Timing Chain Question
Friday, November 09, 2012 9:38 PM
I'm brand new to this site which a pretty much found by accident. I turned to the maintenance section expecting maybe to see, "Change the oil once every year or two and you'll be fine." Instead, I find out that my engine may be ready to grenade.

I have an '08 Pontiac G6 with 125,000 miles, or so. I change the oil on average every 3,000 miles with Mobil 1 and a K%N oil filter and I've never noticed any strange noises or loss of performance, but it looks like the timing chain is its Achilles heal, or does this apply only to certain years? Somebody suggested that Advance Auto is a good place to source the parts? I do get a lot of stuff from Advance, but I'm wondering if there isn't something else available that would be an upgrade over the factory parts?

Also, is there anything else I should be looking at before I get a surprise? Should I pull the engine to do the chains?

A couple of things going for it, I hope, is that the transmission is an automatic and my wife does most of the driving on highways, so the engine seldom sees high rpm. That should count for something, right?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Another Timing Chain Question
Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:53 PM
rockauto.com is a good place, good prices and fast shipping, I have never had a problem with them.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search