Check Automatic Trans Fluid Level - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Check Automatic Trans Fluid Level
Wednesday, December 15, 2004 12:17 PM
My 2004 Cavalier with 2.2. Ecotec and 4 spd automatic does not have a dipstick for checking automatic fluid. I know where the cover is located for adding fluid, if necessary.

Also, I can appreciate GM's position that fluid level won't lower unless it is leaking.

Nevertheless, can anybody tell me the proper procedure for checking the automatic fluid level in this vehicle?

Re: Check Automatic Trans Fluid Level
Wednesday, December 15, 2004 3:27 PM
Our cars really dont have one (like the oil dipstick kind)
Theres a plug on the trans pan kinda like the oil plug that your oil pan that you unplug when your cars at regular running temp and on level ground and you would fill it till a few drips came out.
So ive been told on j-body.org
But you shouldnt have to worry about that for a long time.
Later
Redrider02
Thursday, December 16, 2004 3:44 PM
^^ yes sir.
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 6:23 PM
That is how you check it, I had to change my transmission pan as it doest not take to kindly to botoming out over cattle guards. And I confirmed with AAMCO after a filter change and fluid flush that that is how you check it. A huge pain in the *SS
Thursday, March 17, 2005 4:33 PM
Yeah, especially when it`s cold outside. I just changed my fluid today, and let me give you a little tip, after you put in about 4.5 quarts, start the engine (when the check plug is out) or it will dump on your garage floor. The really cool thing about theese trannies, they have a reusable pan gasket, (of good quality) or elese it will cost you an additional $38.00 Also, no need to go crazy tighting up the pan bolt`s. I used my 1/4 inch. drive for them.
Wednesday, April 13, 2005 11:55 PM
If you do a trans service with a trans that has a plug on the bottom and no trans dip stick, All you need to do is drop the pan and replace the trans filter and top it off with 7 qrts of atf.
Sunday, July 24, 2005 9:02 AM
Red Rider02 wrote:Our cars really dont have one (like the oil dipstick kind)
Theres a plug on the trans pan kinda like the oil plug that your oil pan that you unplug when your cars at regular running temp and on level ground and you would fill it till a few drips came out.
So ive been told on j-body.org
But you shouldnt have to worry about that for a long time.
Later
Redrider02

Where would this be located?

Sunday, July 24, 2005 3:29 PM
If you've ever changed your oil theres another bolt thats on the pan next to the oil pan. Its sorta hard to show you without a pic. If I had a pic I could point it out better for you.
Later
Redrider02

"i reject your reality and substitute my own." -adam savage "mythbusters"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search