where to change oil at - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
where to change oil at
Wednesday, February 02, 2005 2:47 AM
I just got a 05 Cavalier less than a week ago with about 5K miles on it. My question is should I take it to the dealership to change my oil or can I trust take a lube place like Jiffy Lube to change it.

Re: where to change oil at
Wednesday, February 02, 2005 6:10 AM
Why don't you change it?

Quote: no ofence man but if you have so much experience in all that why does your car look like crap?

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 3:28 PM
I was thinking about doing it myself, but one question I have is it recommended to lube the chassis? Because I don't know how to do it myself.
Thursday, February 03, 2005 10:20 AM
You don't have to lube the chassis every time but it is a good idea. Jiffy lube dosen't do that unless you pay them extra but the only lube point I have come across which I try to lube every time I'm under the car is the tie rods. The ball joints are non-greaseable I never looked at the rear but I don't think it is that big of a deal. All you need is a grease gun and hit the tie rods. I also like to use white lithum on the spring where the throtle cable meets the throtle body and on the door hinges.

Quote: no ofence man but if you have so much experience in all that why does your car look like crap?

Sunday, February 06, 2005 11:30 AM
ok on a cavalier there are 2 grease fittings just so u know and also they dont need to be greased everytime and also most oil change places dont grease them any way cause there lazy just so u know so u should change it yourself
its the cheapest way <br>

its a cavalier i should get 2 cars and the hit

Thursday, February 10, 2005 6:37 AM
Does anyone have any idiea if their is a way to drain the coolant in the 2003 Cav`s? I have tried to find a petcok, and don`t seem to be able to find one. It also looks like this car`s both radiator hoses are at the top of the radiator. <br>

Sapporo
Thursday, February 10, 2005 7:16 AM
I replace my rad and I can't remember. I don't think that there is one. I'll look to see what I can find on mine.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:46 AM
Thanx,
GM is on this kick about not having to do any maintainance, i.e (no trans dipstick) but let`s face it, the fluid`s need to be changed. I replaced my trans fluid @ 30,000 mi. It looked pretty good, but it`s piece of mind. And their was some fluid discoloration anyway.
I replaced it with aamco partial synthetic fluid, (not sure if I`d want to use a full synthetic in the trans.) Something with the bearing`s? Anyway, any input on this radiator drain thing will be very appreciated. <br>

Sapporo
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 2:15 PM
^^ yeah synthetic oil completely DESTROYS bearings.
And when you're infront of the car. the drain cock should be at the lower driver side. On the 97' it's twist and pull, but the later models I don't know. You don't need to touch the coolant for a while. Dex-cool is a five year coolant. But if you want too. go for it. It won't help a bit
Monday, February 21, 2005 3:56 AM
Well, thanx for the info Tom. Mine is a 2003, and I looked everywhere on the radiator, and can`t find the damn thing. I know they claim you don`t need to change the coolant, but did you hear that stuff about dex-cool gelling up?
They supposedly changed the formula, but I don`t know what that`s worth either. I will try that new prestone formula that is good for all coolant`s, green or red. Prestone is at least a reputable antifreeze maker. So I would think it`safe to use in our system.
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 5:13 PM
Cheesecake wrote:ok on a cavalier there are 2 grease fittings just so u know and also they dont need to be greased everytime and also most oil change places dont grease them any way cause there lazy just so u know so u should change it yourself
its the cheapest way

Where are the two grease fittings on a Cavalier? (I have a 2004 model.)

Thursday, February 24, 2005 7:22 AM
see above there is a tie rod on each side. Any other grease fittings I haven't found.

Monday, April 11, 2005 10:09 PM
When I went to drain my radiator, we found the petcock on the lower corner, front, driver's side of the radiator. Its white and plastic. You could actually reach through the grille of bumper to get to it. It seems like you might be able to use a really long 1/4 in(?) extension to turn it. Mine was stuck so we just disconnected the coolant hose right behind the radiator and fans if I remember correctly. Hope this helps a little being my 1st post ever.
Wednesday, April 20, 2005 12:08 PM
You were absolutily right, that is where it was. I looked all over for that petcok.

Thanks again
Friday, August 05, 2005 1:06 PM
The two grease fittings are on the TIE ROD ENDS. That means they are right behind your front wheels, you dont even need to take the wheels off! just turn your wheel all the way to each side to get to then from the back of the front tires. you can feel the nipple right on top of where the tie rod end bolts. They only need a squeeze or two with the grease gun every 10k or so. Quick and easy. These are the only two, but do not neglect them!

I would bet my money that Jiffy Lube would never touch them as most cars today are sealed there.

A $7 grease gun will do this, from walmart or autozone. Its a 2 minute job.

Also, change your oil yourself, these canister type oil filters do not have to be tourqed that tight, and how I have seen alot of cars that get there oil pan plug stripped they cant be to gentle on that plastic cap either. This car is probablly the easiest car to change oil on, the oil pan is low and the bolt is of easy access, and all you need is a One in drive rachet, and 1 inch socket for it, and a 6 inch extention. Its a small investment but it will make removing the filter quick clean and easy. You could change the oil on this car in 10min.
Thursday, August 11, 2005 8:19 PM
Rob Smith wrote:The two grease fittings are on the TIE ROD ENDS. That means they are right behind your front wheels, you dont even need to take the wheels off! just turn your wheel all the way to each side to get to then from the back of the front tires. you can feel the nipple right on top of where the tie rod end bolts. They only need a squeeze or two with the grease gun every 10k or so. Quick and easy. These are the only two, but do not neglect them!

I would bet my money that Jiffy Lube would never touch them as most cars today are sealed there.

A $7 grease gun will do this, from walmart or autozone. Its a 2 minute job.

Also, change your oil yourself, these canister type oil filters do not have to be tourqed that tight, and how I have seen alot of cars that get there oil pan plug stripped they cant be to gentle on that plastic cap either. This car is probablly the easiest car to change oil on, the oil pan is low and the bolt is of easy access, and all you need is a One in drive rachet, and 1 inch socket for it, and a 6 inch extention. Its a small investment but it will make removing the filter quick clean and easy. You could change the oil on this car in 10min.

actully jiffy lube would touch them cause it is well known also on the auto trans there is a check plug in the trans just no dipstick

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search