2005 Cavalier Oil Filter Location - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2005 Cavalier Oil Filter Location
Friday, February 25, 2005 5:39 AM
I recently bought a 2005 Cavalier 2-door coupe (bright yellow!). While looking under the car for the oil drain plug -which I found- I noticed there was no oil filter!!! Further investigaton revealed that this engine takes a cartridge type filter. Where in the world is the cannister???? Under the hood, I see what appears to be a canister made into the engine, with a black top on it that has a large hex head fitting. IS THIS WHERE THE OIL FILTER CARTRIDGE GOES??? The thing I am talking about is on the right side of the engine, between the radiator and the block, and is accessable from the top side.HELP!!

Re: 2005 Cavalier Oil Filter Location
Friday, February 25, 2005 6:58 AM
your oil filter is located on the right side underneet the power steering oil. its a black cap with a square notch on it to remove it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My Car Specs
Club J-Body Montreal Forums
Friday, February 25, 2005 7:44 AM
John,
Do like I did when i first bought mine,Go to a sear`s hardware dept. and buy yourself an 1.25 (inch and a quater) 12/5 socket and an extension bar. works great! I actually like it better now with, cause it is under the hood. and easy to get too
Friday, February 25, 2005 7:48 AM
oh, it should be a shallow wall, not deep wall socket. sorry for not mentioning that. Also,depending on your milage, you may want to consider synthetic oil. Seem `s to work real well in theese motor`s stick with the 5w-30, not 0w-30, or 10w-30 heavier oil is not better oil in the new car`s.
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 8:48 AM
^^^^^^YEP!

Quote: no ofence man but if you have so much experience in all that why does your car look like crap?

Thursday, March 10, 2005 10:06 AM
I have a 2004 Cavalier which I believe has the same filter location. Each time I get my oil changed, they charge me to replace the filter. They say it has to be changed each time. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, how come?
Thursday, March 10, 2005 12:36 PM
Kim,
I would definately recomend changing the oil filter each time you change your oil. however, if they are charging you for a new cap each time, that is a waste of money, I am running the same oil filter cap, and i`ve got 40,000 miles on my 2003.(original plastic filter cap) And it doesn`t leak oil around it, so I will not replace till it does. Hope this answered your question.
Thursday, March 10, 2005 1:22 PM
I think so. I thought they were charging me for the air filter each time, and I usually don't get that replaced with each oil change. I'll have to look at some old receipts to see if they are charging me for the cap. Thanks!
Friday, March 11, 2005 11:34 AM
The air filter should go 1 year with out any trouble. Unless your out in nevada or some where , where their is a lot of dust i.e. cement dust is a real problem where I live here in Pa. But I clean my K&N filter off, and re-oil once a year. (even though they claim you don`t need too) In your case, your paper element should be good for a year.
Monday, March 14, 2005 8:46 AM
Thanks for the info!

I looked at my receipt from my last oil change and there was a "SPECIAL FILTER CHARGE". I believe the extra charge is for the special oil filter the new cavaliers now require.
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 8:21 AM
special oil filter ?!?!?!

you got me there dude never heard of that

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My Car Specs
Club J-Body Montreal Forums

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 12:05 PM
It`s just a filter with out the canister, I hate to say this, but some of theese shops like to take advantage of women. Maybe try going to a different shopthat hopefully has a good reputation. Stay away from jiffy lubes etc. As their alway`s trying to sell you stuff, cause they make some comission etc.
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 10:49 PM
Speaking of that, I just notice the K&N filter is different than any other filter. What are the differences?
Thursday, March 17, 2005 8:17 AM
I thought it might be something like that (getting taken advantage of). I know nothing about cars. This did happen at a Jiffy Lube. I will just go somewhere else next time, thanks for the advice!
Thursday, March 17, 2005 4:26 PM
You mean k&n air filter? I don`t think they make an oil filter do they? If so, please post the #
Friday, March 18, 2005 8:43 AM
The part # for the K&N oil filter is HP-1001. *Off Topic*- all last night I couldn't sign in, I can sign to the .org just fine though, anybody else having that problem?
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:03 AM
I have that problem on and off all the time.

Quote: no ofence man but if you have so much experience in all that why does your car look like crap?

Monday, April 25, 2005 7:01 PM
also got that problem, usually i was able to see my post but now i cant, can somebody tell me what wrong....

Club J-Body Delta of Quebec, Montreal Division Event Planner

My Car Domain
Mon Char.Com

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 9:02 AM
I dont know if you guys have early ecos like late 2002 or 2003 but when i got my 2003 i work at a mechanic shop and i ordered a filter from wix and list on it was lik 14 bucks. What a raping! Now they are much cheaper. Like 4-5 but i think you can get them from like fram now for cheap but that might be the extra charge you were seeing since it wasnt a normal filter it might have to be special ordered. All of our oil changes are 19.95 with 4qts of oil. But when i do my oil change it should cost like 50 bucks with synthetic oil but it costs me like 20.

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Friday, July 15, 2005 8:20 AM
I haven't seen a Fram filter yet.

Could you please post the part #?

And a $20.00 synthetic oil change? Costs me $33 to $34 to do it myself. Is that the Wal-mart stuff or the good stuff?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Motley, sounds like you know what you are doing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kim Grote,

Being taken advantage of is not your problem. Having a "Special Filter" charge because your car has the most earth-friendly oil filter out there is a problem.

Oh, and if you must be taken advantage of; at least make sure you get something out of it too. "MONEY SPENT FOR PLEASURE IS MONEY WELL SPENT" -ep
Friday, July 15, 2005 10:40 AM
True.

By the way, I went to Car X and got an oil change AND tire rotation for $18.00
(with coupon). There was never any mention of a "special filter"...
think I'll go there from now on!

Sunday, July 17, 2005 10:12 AM
I use AC delco PN# PF456G or s/s# PF2256G
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 10:02 AM
^^ yep me to i use the stock ac delco filter... i also use 5w30 mobile 1 full synthetic..... i pay 5 bucks for the filter and 21 for the oil and i do it my self in my driveway... . i love changing oil in my eco its so so easy...

Sunday, September 25, 2005 7:02 PM
I just get a WIX filter and the cheapest 5W-30 oil in a 5qt container. Hopefully switching to synthetic soon. And a new air filter would help me alot too.

1971 camaro 427 --- here!

Stock... and loving every minute of it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search