Moly in the engine? - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Moly in the engine?
Friday, March 11, 2005 12:06 PM
Greetings,

I have a New 2004 Cavalier with a 2.2 ecotec engine.
I changed the oil and filter at 500 miles and put in Penzoil 5w30.
All was normal.
When I changed the oil I placed a small but very strong magnet on the internal end of the plug. As I have always done with all my cars.
I just changed the oil again after another 1500 miles, upon pulling the plug I noticed
a clump of a dark grey pasty substance surounding the magnet, I'd swear it was moly-grease
it felt like moly grease and stained my fingers like moly would.
I would guess it to have been about a quarter of a teaspoon of this grease. (maybe a little less).
I have done my own oil changes for 30+ years and have never seen this before.

I would appreciate any reaction or experiences to this...

At 3,000 miles I plan to change to synthetic AMSoil.

Thanks.

Re: Moly in the engine?
Friday, March 11, 2005 2:56 PM
Steve,
It would have to be some kind of metal compound,( hence the magnet ). No grease I know of has this? does it? Probably just some fine metal silt, due to the break in process.
P.S don`t rule out Royal purple, or mobile one extended performance motor oil, I have found both work really well in theese motor`s. And after your warranty, you can extend your service interval`s to at least 5000 miles.( on synthetic )
Friday, March 11, 2005 3:16 PM
sapporo,

Thanks for responding, I had thought it might be metal from the wear in process as you suggested, just so fine as to be "like" a paste stuck to the magnet.
It just looks sooo much like Moly grease used in new or rebuilt engines.
Although I would have thought most would have been worn off during the first 500 miles.
That was my supprise at 2,000 miles that I'm still seeing it...

I was going to change to synthetic this oil change till I saw what was stuck to the magnet.

Perhaps I should do another oil change at 3,000 and if the magnet is clean then change to synthetic? Making sure that the engine parts are well seated?

Steve
Saturday, March 12, 2005 1:21 PM
Well stephen, I`m all but sure it won`t hurt to go another change before synthetic.I didn`t change to synthetic untill 5,500 miles. But have been runnin it eversince.
Tuesday, June 07, 2005 5:40 PM
Agreed, lots of rebuilders say to wait for about 5000 miles before going to synthetic. Supposedly it could cause a bearing to slip.
Wednesday, June 08, 2005 12:00 AM
i changed my oil at 60 miles then again at 250 and 500 and then 1000 again at 1500 and switched to royal purple at 1900 and put in a magnetic plug. i change my oil every 3000 miles and i have 14,000 miles now and i still see that light grey stuff on it but i it is way less than in the beginning. i think by the time i reach 25000 the motor should be fully broken in and should be no stuff on the drain plug

i also noticed that my car runs better and better the more miles i get on it they must be real tight from the factory

see ya!

Friday, July 15, 2005 6:54 AM
Sounds like your engine's gonna outlive the rest of the car.

Keep changing that oil.
Sunday, July 17, 2005 6:49 AM
Update on posting...

Oil change at 500 1,000 2,000 3,500, magnet is still showing some signs of the fine silt buildup at the last oil change but not as much as in earlier changes.
It would seem the 5,000 mi marker for switching to synthetic may be accurate.
I will change again at that time and check the magnet for deposits, I will wait till there is little or no signs of continued break in before I switch, and will post the milage at that time.
Thanks for all the reply's!
Friday, July 29, 2005 1:44 PM
sorry im jus curious-im not to up to date on synthetic oil-why is it bad to change over to synthetic before the car is fully broken into?-and what actual gains will i get from it

"I can't believe you are doin all this to a Cavalier!"-Everybody Else
"Hey-at least its not a damn civic!!"-ME
Saturday, July 30, 2005 12:44 AM
Cody,

Basicly synthetic oil lubricates the internal parts so well that the engine will "not" break in as it should if it is used to soon.

The reason for the break in is so that many of the internal parts will hone or wear together evenly, kinda like a custom fit so to speak of each part to the other.
ie: piston rings to the cylinder walls.
When new they are not perfectly matched, but with time and some wear they will fit together exactly.

Benefits of being properly broken in include, smoother idle, better gas milage, better performance. As an engine properly broken in will run better and last longer.

As the engine breaks in it wears away some metal so the parts fit better, this is the reason for the frequent oil changes during the break in period, to get rid of the oil with all the metal particles floating in it, till it's broken in.
Thursday, November 10, 2005 5:51 PM
Where can I get a magnetic plug?

Friday, November 11, 2005 9:14 AM
Have you tried autozone or some other parts place?

I use a small but powerfull rare earth magnet I got from work, I just let it stick to the current plug end and screw it in.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search