What oil - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What oil
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 8:44 PM
5W 30 or 10W 30 do we have to use?

thanks

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Re: What oil
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 1:48 PM
5w30 if you live in a area when its cold.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My Car Specs
Club J-Body Montreal Forums
Sunday, May 01, 2005 7:04 AM
I posted this supplemental question in the Ecotec forum for Opels but there doesn't seem to be much acitivity there. In any case, while our owners manuals recommend 5W30 oil with 10W30 being acceptable if temperature is above -18C, I understand the European manufacturers recommend much thicker oil. Therefore, I was attempting to find out what the manufacturer recommends for a 2.2L Ecotec in a European model like an Opel. ??
Sunday, May 08, 2005 12:47 AM
it's 5W30 you should use. it says SAE 5W-30 right on the oil cap...
Saturday, June 18, 2005 3:49 PM
i had mentioned this before on this board, don`t believe the heavier oil is better oil. In the late 70`s early 80`s it was good to use heavier oil in those engines. They had much sloppier tolerances, today the engines are built with a much tighter tolerance. And they need the lighter oil.
I would be willing to bet that if you tried running say 20w-50 oil, your car wouldn`t even have any power on it. And probably, in not much time, have complete engine failure. 10w-30 is the absolute highest viscosity I would put in mine. And may be better for hot climates, i.e Louisiana etc. but definately no higher viscosity needed, or recommended.
Sunday, July 10, 2005 6:28 AM
Regarding the supplemental question that I mentioned earlier in this thread, I received a reply from a person who works for an Opel dealership in the U.K. Similar to the GM recommendation here in North America, that dealership uses 5W30 oil in their 2.2 Ecotecs.

Therefore, given that the Europeans normally use thicker oil, I think there must be a good reason for the 5W30 spec other than saving fuel.
Sunday, July 10, 2005 6:32 AM
Spud Islander wrote:Regarding the supplemental question that I mentioned earlier in this thread, I received a reply from a person who works for an Opel dealership in the U.K. Similar to the GM recommendation here in North America, that dealership uses 5W30 oil in their 2.2 Ecotecs.

Therefore, given that the Europeans normally use thicker oil, I think there must be a good reason for the 5W30 spec other than saving fuel.

I note, however, that another person from U.K. replied by telling me that most Vauxhall dealers use 0W40 or 5W40 motor oil.
Friday, July 15, 2005 5:43 AM
The owner's manual you recieved with the car will tell you what to use.

If for some reason you recently moved to a signigicantly different climate, or if you are just in doubt, the dealership closest to you should be able to answer your question.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search