Slight miss - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Slight miss
Tuesday, May 10, 2005 11:56 AM
Hey guys I am new here. I have a 2003 Olds Alero 2.2 Ecotec auto. It has 37k on it. For the last few months I have notived a slight "bumping feeling" or miss in the car while driving at 60+mph and going up an incline. If I am doing 60 and starting to go up an incline, and just slowly press the gas to keep my speed the car has a slight "miss" type feeling. If I press it harder so that the torque converter will unlock, it does fine. I am almost 100% sure this is not transmission related. And it don't always seem to do it. It seems like the AC being on makes it worse. Again, it is VERY light and passengers cant even feel it. But I am picky and I know that it has not always done this. I have replaced the fuel filter and ran some GM fuel system cleaner in the gas with no help. I have no check engine light, so I assume it is nothing major. Just wondering if you guys have noticed anything like this?

Re: Slight miss
Thursday, May 12, 2005 4:54 AM
I have but mine does it at lower rpm's. I also have 60K on it.

Quote: no ofence man but if you have so much experience in all that why does your car look like crap?

Thursday, May 12, 2005 5:25 PM
I would like to fix this, but I guess I will have to wait until it get worse. I know if I take it to the dealer they will say "can't duplicate problem" . I just wonder if its like a carbon build up or something? I would think if it were a missfire, it would set a code.
Thursday, May 19, 2005 1:58 PM
I notice that the engine doesnt like low RPM kick down. they have to switch to a lower gear to get it moving.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My Car Specs
Club J-Body Montreal Forums
Friday, June 03, 2005 2:12 PM
As for what it might be, it could be alot of things. One major possiblity is the mass airflow sensor. But don't take that as gospel. It could be one of the other 20 sensors on the ecotec.

Before you start buying sensors, which are not cheap. I would look at the PCV valve first. Aclogged PCV will cause te idle to miss slightly.
Friday, June 03, 2005 2:17 PM
Scratch the PCV valve. There isn't one on the ecotec. Only on the LSJ(2.0sc)
Friday, June 03, 2005 4:21 PM
Sorry for the intermitant posts. I was at work and it was time to go home.

Those fuel system cleaners that you add to the gas tank do not clean the valves completely. If you go to a decent shop, and get a fuel induction service, they hook a machine up to the engine and run the cleaner through at a pressurized rate. This does clean the car 10 times better than just adding those cleaners to your tank. Some dealerships advise a induction cleaning every 30,000 or 40,000 miles.

Also, it could just be the gas you are putting in your car. Supposedly Chevron is recommended by GM. Because there is techron, which is what GM uses to clean the induction system.

Have you changed your spark plug wires? Just because the spark plugs are 100,000 miles, doesn't mean the wires last that long. Nor does the spark plugs last that long either. The 100,000 mile rating is mostly for people who don't drive their car like a performance vehicle.

I would look into those before buying a $100+ sensor.
Friday, June 03, 2005 5:03 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. I read my service manuals and the Ecotec don't have a MAF sensor. Also it don't have plug wires so that can't be it either. I was thinking about what you said about the plugs, and it is likely that they may need to be replaced. I got my car new and I have always tried to use good gas like Chevron. I have a few times got cheap gas when I did not have a choice. I think I may take it in to the dealer for the induction system cleaner when I get time. Maybe there is a slight chance they can tell what it is without the SES light being on. Thanks again for your help.
Saturday, June 04, 2005 2:23 AM
try gumout regain in it first. if that does not work then get a can of throttle body cleaner and clean the throttle body real good and the air intak temp sensor and replace the plugs. that should get it. if not then take it to the dealer

see ya!

Saturday, June 04, 2005 4:50 AM
Sorry bout the wires and MAF. I look at so many saturn engines in a day. I forget what has what for sensors. Plus it was a long day.
Saturday, June 04, 2005 6:27 AM
Oh thats no problem. I appreciate you trying to help.

Friday, July 15, 2005 7:08 AM
LOL
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search