04 Sunfire, Coolant change - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04 Sunfire, Coolant change
Sunday, July 24, 2005 3:54 AM
I want to drain the dextron from my coolant system and replace it with regular antifreeze.
Heard the dextron is bad for your seals.

Any advice on the best way to do this?

Walt from Toronto

Re: 04 Sunfire, Coolant change
Thursday, August 04, 2005 5:46 PM
I don`t know where you heard that from,the early formula of dex cool had a jelling problem. but that has long since been corrrected.
Thursday, August 11, 2005 8:24 PM
go to a place that does complete radiatort flushes and tell them you want regular coolant

Friday, August 12, 2005 5:52 AM
DONT PUT ANYTHING BUT DEXCOOL IN YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is designed for nothing but dexcool.
Thursday, August 25, 2005 6:10 PM
The owner's manual of my 2004 Chev Cavalier (same motor) suggests that if anything but Dexcool is used it will void the warranty!
Thursday, October 27, 2005 5:54 PM
Here's what I've HEARD ...

Dexcool prevents corrosion inside your cooling passages, but tends to Gel up after a shorter amount of time (when compared to the 100,000 Miles service interval). If you flush at 50,000 miles, you should be ok.

If you Green stuff, You run a greater chance of having the aluminum inside your cooling passages getting corroded, but I've never heard of it Gelling up!

If you want, you could ask for the Long-Life coolant that mixes with anything. Most shops should charge the same amount for either of the three coolants i just mentioned. Now if you have toyota, or mopar...hehe...Expensive stuff.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search