Winter Storage - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Winter Storage
Sunday, October 23, 2005 1:44 PM
I have a 2003 Cavalier that i always run sythetic oil in. The last cupple years before i put it away ive been changing the oil before i put it away and then again right after i take it out. Is that a waste of money doing that? Or should i just do one b4 i put it away or after i take it out.. Other people have talked about adding a fuel additive before putting it away any recomendations would be helpfull.... Thanks in advance Jamie

Re: Winter Storage
Thursday, October 27, 2005 5:46 PM
I can tell you what i do on my other car (that i store for the winter). I Do Not Change the oil before storing it (unless it happens to be at 3000 miles), But here is what i do. As soon as i get anxious to drive the car come spring (no salt on roads), I do an oil change. I use motor flush with that change, and then add some sort of additive to help protect (the heads have been oil free for quite some time). A gasoline additive couldn't hurt, but i've never had a problem starting or anything, but i do leave it with premium fuel. Hope ive helped.
Re: Winter Storage
Saturday, October 29, 2005 7:44 PM
Do you start it in storage? I would think the oil would still be good if it sat all winter. Synthetic doesn't break down that fast. Would you pour out six month oil if it was still in the bottle?

I would add fuel stabilizer and a couple of boxes of Decon under the car to keep the critters out of the interior. Charge the battery and disconnect it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search