timing chain failure... - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
timing chain failure...
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 4:39 PM
this is a question i asked many months ago on JBO and got little in useful answers, so i fugred id try here. its getting pretty well known that a good number of Ecos have had timing chain failures, leading to either a extensive head job or a completely new engine. my question is...how common is this really? i would really like to hear from people who have had this happen, noting what mileage and severity of damage...or from people who have a high mileage Eco and have had no problems...and how many miles you have. also if anyone has any practical info, years, build locations having problems, or any ways to prevent this..if any. basically any useful info is welcomed. the "dont worry about it" i got on JBO doesnt help.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Re: timing chain failure...
Saturday, July 29, 2006 6:21 PM
54k 02 eco... chain snapped

i only show compression in 1 out of 4 cylinders

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Re: timing chain failure...
Thursday, August 10, 2006 7:51 AM
This was an issue with the first batch of ECO's from what my service manager has said.
The 02's and early 03's had a problem with this and also an oil pump issue that GM supposedly fixed around mid year of 03.

I have an 04 that has had 42,000 or so HARD miles and so far not a single issue from the engine. However I do service it every single 3000 miles without fail since it was new.

I hope this helps you.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search