To Synthetic or not to Synthetic? - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
To Synthetic or not to Synthetic?
Sunday, May 28, 2006 3:53 PM
that is the question! so, whats the buzz on this? on my previous cars and on my old LN2 i always ran a synthetic blend. im a nut about always changing my cars oil at 3k miles regardless of its weight and type. so, about the ecotecs...is sythetic even recommended for them? should i bother with it? on my last car i used Valvoline synthetic Blend 5w30 and changed it every 2500-3k miles, or every 3 months, whichever came first.

I have been using Havoline 5w30 to break it in, it will be due for a change at 11k miles. keep using the havoline or switch it up?

Re: To Synthetic or not to Synthetic?
Monday, May 29, 2006 10:33 AM
whats the buzz?

in a nutshell synthetic oil provides numerous advantages over conventional oil some of which include its ability to withstand higher engine operating temperatures, the fact that its 100% clean out of the bottle and it has the ability to stand up to longer oil change intervals.

Is it recommended for the ecotec engine?

Sure, however, It depends on what brand and grade of synthetic you use. If you choose synthetic check the container for the API starburst symbol and that it meets GM Standard 6094M (e.g. Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30 which is what I use)

Should you bother with it?

for the ecotec engine if you have the oil and filter changed every 3,000 miles synthetic isn't required and its simply personal preference if you want the added protection and other benefits provided by synthetic oils

I would keep using what your using now if your changing it every 3,000 miles and only switch to synthetic if you want the extra engine protection because while it does protect better it is generally 2-3 more expensive in comparison to conventional oils
Saturday, July 15, 2006 9:48 PM
go synthetic... I'm a freak about synthetic and I still change every 3k... Mobil 1 5w30 is the way to go man... it protects so much better than regular oil; especially if you drive it hard...

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 3:05 PM
Two words. Oil Analysis.

I love sythetics as much as the next guy. I'm not going to post on the benefits of changing from dino to sythetic. Just do some research. Look up Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Redline. Choose one that works for you. Personally I'm not a big fan of Mobil 1.

By the way, if synthetic oil is being changed at regular "dino oil" intervals, then it's being wasted. If it's being changed that often, then what's the point in runing sythetic anyway?

The oil analysis company I use is Blackstone Labs. Do a google search. You'll find them.
Thursday, September 14, 2006 5:18 PM
actully to all of those using synthetic the owners manuel recomments 10w30 nopt 5w30 for synthetic oil

Saturday, January 13, 2007 1:45 AM
I WOULDNT RECOMEND SYTHETIC UNTILL THE ENGINE HAS AT LEAST OVER 10,000KM ON IT OR MORE FOR PROPER ENGINE BREAK IN . I HAVE ABOUT 20,000 AND PERSONALLY WILL NOT USE SYNTHETIC BECAUSE ITS NOT WORTH IT I CAN BUY 5W30 FORMULA 1 MOTOMASTER WITH SYTHETIC WEAR GUARD FOR 12 BUCKS FOR 4.73 LITRES ON SALE THAT IS .. I KNOW THIS OIL DOESNT MEET THE GM6094M STANDARD BUT I WILL USE IT ANYWAYS IM SURE ITS MORE THEN GOOD ENOUGH. I CHANGE MY OIL AT 5000KM OR 3 MONTHS.
Saturday, March 31, 2007 6:28 PM
I use Mobil1 full synthetic and run 93 octane gas. Most people say that going that far is pointless and a waste of money, but hey, better safe than sorry. As much as I've put into my ECO swap, I wanna make sure its being protected and taken care of to the fullest. Especially when boost is comin soon

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Thursday, April 05, 2007 3:31 PM
After buying my Ion Redline, I took it in for an oil change, got the basic penzoil 5w-30, then afterwards, drove it to the nearest Saturn dealership to have warranty work performed on it. The "Kwik Lube" place left a sticker on the oil cap indicating that they poured "pennzoil 5w-30". When the mechanic at the Saturn dealership saw that sticker, he came UNGLUED!!! He proceeded to call me at work and chastise me about putting regular oil in it! (LOL) He even brought to my attention that the oil cap has "mobile 1 5w-30 synthetic" written on it. He made it clear that because I'm running the super charger on it, that I should never put anything BUT Synthetic 5w-30 in it, and I should use Mobile 1 when available.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search