Oil Drain plug location - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil Drain plug location
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:22 AM
Boy am I glad I found this site. I've been searching the net high and low for Ecotec information and stumble on this site. It's just what I've been looking for. I've taken a quick look around and from what I can tell everyone here is pretty civil to each other, (unlike some other sites). I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can here so hopefully I will be able to contribute to conversations in the future. As for now, I'm full of ignorant questions. Please bear with me.

Ok. I admit this might sound like a stoopid question, but where in the world did those sneeky engineers hid the oil drain plug? The car in question is a 2004 Malibu Classic w/ a 2.2L Ecotec. This is the first front wheel drive car I've ever owned and I'm not famillier w/ the orientation of the sideways mounted engine & the front transmission. I have to say that beeing a new guy to FWD's, this thing has me scratching my head trying to figure out what-is-what. We bought the car a few months ago and it's time for me to do the first oil change since purchase. I've already bought everything needed, including that pesky little oil filter wrench (Lisle part # 14700). But for the life of me I can't find the drain plug.

I found a plug that looks like it for the trans fluid. It's mounted in what I think is the trans axle, not the trans pan (if i've ID'd everything correctly). Could this actuall ybe the opil plug I'm searching for?

Thanks.

Re: Oil Drain plug location
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 6:30 AM
the drain plug on the ecotec is on the engin oil pan at the rear of the car on the passenger side

hope this could help you

I'd rather push a CHEVY than drive a Honda
Friday, September 01, 2006 6:09 PM
Quote:

at the rear of the car

At the rear of the car or the engine? I think I found it, but since I'm not yet familiar w/ the layout of a FWD car, I'm concerned that the plug I've found might be for the trans axle fluid.

I think I'm going to just crack the bolt open a little until a little fluid seeps out. It should be pretty easy to tell if it's engine oil or trans oil.

Thanks.
Sunday, September 10, 2006 8:44 AM
yea its not to hard man, drain pan, for the ecotecs our drain pans our somewhat square and have little fins to reduce noise and vibrations. its not to hard to find.
Thursday, September 14, 2006 5:17 PM
once you jack up the car you cant miss it be careful when you put it back in so you dont strip the aluminum pan

Sunday, January 14, 2007 1:30 AM
AT FIRST I COULDNT FIND MINE EITHER ! AND IM QUITE MECHANICALLY INCLINED, IF YOUR POWER PLANT IS SAME AS MINE ECO TECH 2.2 AUTOMATIC 2005 CAVALIER ITS MADE OF ALUMINUM I THINK, AND IT CANT BE THE TRANSMISSION DRAIN PLUG BECAUSE THE TRANNY DRAIN PLUS IS SUPPOSED TO BE SLIGHTLY HIGHER UP ON THE TRANNY. I ALWAYS HAVE ONE HELL OF A TIME LOOSEING THAT OIL DRAIN PLUG THOUGH ... ITS AS IF IT SEIZES BETWEEN OIL CHANGES .. I HAVE ONLY CHNAGE THE OIL TWICE TO FAR.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search