Bought a fixer upper. Need Ecotec advice - Maintenance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bought a fixer upper. Need Ecotec advice
Sunday, May 11, 2014 6:02 AM
Looking for some advice guys.

Picked up a fairly clean red 04 LS sport with the stripes and spoiler package with 85,000 miles.

Car ran horrible and sounded even worse... had an obvious timing chain problem. Had another Cavalier project going so this car sat here for around a month.

Last night I pulled it apart and the timing chain upper guide was in a couple pieces and the chain had a ton of slack between the cam sprockets. Everything else for the timing chain looked normal. I was able to pull 6 rockers out without removing anything so I knew that was bad news. The top of the engine is very scuzzy looking.

One weird observation was that the cam lobes are pitted really bad. Pulled the intake manifold off and the EGR hole was crusted completely shut on the intake. All the intake valves are bent which wasn't a surprise.

I know this isn't a ton of info, and I can get pictures if any one would like... but would you all trust putting this engine back together and trying it out? I have a fresh head ready to go and a new timing set/head set to finish the project. I don't have a ton of experience with Ecotecs so its hard to make a good decision whether or not they survive something like this or if they will have an ailment like massive oil consumption afterwards. Its tough when its already broke and you cant run diagnostics.

Thanks much for any help guys!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search