Need a donor car - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need a donor car
Thursday, January 19, 2006 6:19 AM
Im looking for an ecotec configuration vehicle with a 5spd (getrag on them all?) I used to have an 04sunfire and I was an enthusiast I suppose you could say, so Im not stupid when it comes to ecotec, but in my search for a donor car Id like to know all the cars that came with an ecotec. 2.0 2.2 or 2.4 I dont care. But I am building a car similar to the ariel atom posted in here, but for a significant amount of money cheaper than the 20 some thousand pounds it costs to buy one. The ecotec will be built down the road, but for now I just need a list of vehicles any ecotec can be found in (or even any suggestions of a good motor configured like the ecotec, with exhaust on the back (which is very important for this)

Re: Need a donor car
Thursday, January 19, 2006 6:26 AM
Re: Need a donor car
Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:41 AM
And since we cant edit here, here comes a triple post:

A little background on what Im doing, I dont have too much time to explain but Ill try to get to the point. Heres a picture/ concept designed by my roommate

Originally going to use the 3800scII motor out of a 99 GTP, but it turns out the price went up on the wrecked car, so we said screw it.

The idea for now is:
Power by an ecotec motor (undecided which one... doesnt matter too much right now) and a 5spd transmission (better than the only option of an auto with the 3800scII[yes I know about the 5sp getrag swap aswell])

The suspension as you can tell is formula 1 style double A-Arm suspension. And instead of using rockers for the strut along the front like most formula/kart cars use, we might just attach the strut to a "lower control arm" piece attached to the lower a arm and attach the upper part to the frame for the front and for the rear attach the lower part of the strut to the "upper control arm" attached to the upper a-arm and to a raised portion of the frame beside the motor. And we plan on making the stock strut/spring/coilover assembly work with this (since it weighs 2000lbs less than anything else) we plan to have it weigh in at under 850lbs, but that probably wont happen.

If you havent figured out by now it will be a RR car. And the idea is to use a portion of the stock front hubs of whatever car we use in the rear to attach the drive shafts to. And another set of front hubs to go back on the front to be used with a non power assisted rack and pinion.

It will basically be like an atom, but as project oriented as we are, wede rather build one, and possibly make it better/faster/better handling.

One thing I dont like about the atom is the tires, they are far too skinny from what I can tell. The tires used on this will be atleast 205's front and possibly 225 rear.

Theres about 6 of us, that are able to work on this project and fund it, which should fall under 8000 canadian (im in saskatchewan) and from what I can tell with SGI so far, it can be road legal if it passes a certain certification. And theres my summer car.

That pretty much summerizes everything to a point that you should get it.

So I need suggestions on what car to use that is ecotec equipped. And what suspension you figure would be best. I dont know if I wanna go all out on a full GT/z24 suspension with the stiffer springs, because the car weighs little as it is. But maybe the factory base ones wont be good enough.

Aftermarket support can come later, we just want to build it and get it running first. Then comes the turbo and upgraded suspension/brakes later.

Oh, and as for brakes, it would be nice if the donor had 4 wheel discs, because as we all know drums suck and I will not have them on my car. So if its a sunfire/cav with drums, then we'll work out some sort of fabrication (probably buying 2 more front hubs in general with the rotor/caliper and fabricating the rest.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search