Ecotec?? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec??
Wednesday, June 07, 2006 1:51 PM
Hey I have a 2002 cavalier coupe ls. it's only the 2.2L but i'm wondering about the ecotec. I'm not sure it has it or not. It doesn't say Ecotec anywhere on the car....at least that i've noticed but everytime I read up on Cavy's they're ALWAYS ecotec, so I'm not sure wether it has it or not...Did they make'em without ecotec or did they all come with it???...and I simply don't know it.... ANY IDEAS?!?!?!?!?

Re: Ecotec??
Thursday, June 08, 2006 3:25 AM
Are you kidding T? If not I will tell you. No, for 2002 there were three engine options. The 2.4, for Z24's, (limited availability) the 2.2 OHV base engine for base and LS Cavaliers) and the 2.2 ecotec for the new top of the line Z24 replacement and sold as LS Sport . For 2003+ models the ecotec engine became standard on all models. So yours being an 2002 model you have to check in the engine valve cover where it should say Ecotec 2.2 like in the following pic.

Ecotec engine

If not then it should say 2.4 Twin Cam for the Z's or 2200 for the base engine

Hope this help.
Re: Ecotec??
Thursday, June 08, 2006 4:04 AM
Also T, you said your cavy is a Coupe LS so, it could be the LS Sport which will have the Ecotec (code L61) or just the new Coupe LS that was introduced in 2002 with the 2.2 OHV base engine (code LN2). Another way to verify is looking your VIN number through the windshield (driver side) and check for the fifth digit. If it is an S then your car is the Coupe LS with the base engine and the eighth digit shoud be 4, but if the fifth digit is an H it will have the Ecotec and the eighth caracter shoud be an F.

Remember this is for 2002 models. 2003+ all models have the Ecotec and the eighth caracter is an F.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search