Polishing Question - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Polishing Question
Sunday, July 09, 2006 11:13 PM
Just bought a 05 Cavalier. It has the 2.2 Ecotec. How do I polish aluminum. I want to do it all. Is there off the shelf stuff I can buy or something on-line as a kit? If there is a site you could link me to on a "how to" I would appreciate it. Also if there are any tips you could give me, hit me up.

Re: Polishing Question
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 4:03 PM
If you search the web, there are kits and detailed instructions.

Basically, I start with regular automotive polishing compound and finish with Mothers Metal polish. Sometimes by hand, sometimes using a dremel with ebay polishing bits and sometimes I use a die grinder. It depends on how big and how bad the object is.
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 4:10 PM
I tried to post a picture but I got a red X. Check out the shots at the following sites.

My cardomain

Photobucket
Friday, September 01, 2006 1:47 PM
You can try Meguiars NXT All Metal Polish.
Wednesday, September 20, 2006 2:02 PM
Polishing is a time consuming process with several steps leading to a mirror finish.

Start by stripping the paint, paint removing gel works well, but be sure to follow the directions and especially the safety instructions.

Once the paint is gone you will need to start knocking down the high areas 180 grit wet/dry for deep grooves or casting marks works well. With mild soapy solution in spray bottle to keep the paper clean start sanding trying to go the same direction and don't use alot of pressure as this will wear the paper faster and put deep grooves in your part that you will spend more time removing later.

next : move on to 220-240 grit and repeat you are ready for the next grit when the scratches from the previous ar gone.

then : 400 grit and make sure to keep it wet

then: 800 grit once you are finished with 800 a great shine can be had by going to polish, but there will still be visible scratches. I would suggest 1500 grit before polishing.

Finally: Get a diaper or similar soft cotton cloth and cut to a managable size. A little mothers mag polish works great and so does never dull wadding compound. A circular motion and notice the cloth is turning black, buff with clean cloth and check if more polishing is needed.

There are power tools that work well I have a small air tool set I got from Matco that has a random orbital sander and a polishing bonnet and foam pads, they save a lot of time and steps but don't get into all the corners etc.

Check your local auto-body supply store, and prepare to sand and rub until your hans are sore.
Sunday, September 24, 2006 4:07 PM
Instead of doing all that stuff try NXT All Metal Polish first.
Thursday, September 27, 2007 7:19 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2119503

check out the P&P Job on this...

167,000 on an Ecotec since 02

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search