Something a little different - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Something a little different
Sunday, April 23, 2006 2:00 AM
I thought I would post some pictures of my Ecotec project. I built a mid-travel off road chassis/Baja bug. Originally I powered it with a hopped up 1.9 liter VW motor, but I decided to move up to the Ecotec. I am at the point where it is almost ready to fire, so I am getting really excited. I am anxious to see how this motor performs in my light little chassis. The motor makes 170hp with the current mods (header, magna flow race muffler, off road mapped Delphi ECU and a K&N strapped directly to the throttle body due to space limits and lack of interest in building an intake). The car has 13-inches of suspension travel in the rear and 10.5 inches up front. The weight should be around 1800 pounds with the Eco in it. The car will have a rear mounted rad setup (soon to be tested to see if it was a pipe dream), and assorted off road stuff that you guys wouldn't be interested in. I won't bore your with the specifics. So.... on to the pictures.

SHMO

This is the car when it was running a 1915cc VW motor.

This is the car as the ecotec swap is progressing.

Re: Something a little different
Friday, May 12, 2006 11:36 AM
Now THAT is COOOOL!!! I hope to see an update post on the performance, and also how well the radiator set-up worked out.

Thanks,
-03cavover
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 5:55 PM
I have the car up and running. From a performance standpoint, it pretty much HONKS. I am really happy with the power.

SHMO
Wednesday, June 07, 2006 4:54 PM
Man,that is a great swap!!!Now, since that motor mounts are in the front of the engine inside my GrandAm...how were you able to mount the engine in your frame? The Ecotec looks like it belonged in your Buggy!
Friday, June 09, 2006 8:45 AM
I purchased an adapter to mate the Ecotec to a VW bus transaxle. It utilizes a stock VW sized flywheel, along with the factory style VW starter. At the rear of the car I fabricated some mounts that tie into my framework. (mount is not complete in this pic, but it gives you the idea).

Since I last posted, I have put together a different exhaust and finished up some loose ends. The exhaust consists of 2.25 mandrel bent tubing and a Dynomax Ultraflow welded muffler. It sounds pretty good. I have had some issues with the ECU so it is being sent back to Turnkeyengine supply for some tweaking. This is roughly how the car looks now. I agree, the Ecotec fits the chassis extremely well, like it was made for it. I was able to make a psuedo performance comparison. I ran the car against a Lexus GX470 SUV. My Car was faster

Monday, July 31, 2006 10:26 AM
SHMO,

Looks great with the new exhaust set-up too. Did that effect the power level positively with a little more back-pressure? Also, does the VW bus Xaxle retain the stock gearing?
And finally, since I note license plates in your photos, I take it that the "test" agaist the Lexus SUV was on pavement??

Thanks,
03cavover
Thursday, August 10, 2006 7:14 AM
Oh man you know how easy it would be to put a turbo on that thing?! That is awesome!

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Friday, August 11, 2006 3:37 PM
That is sooo Bad Ass way to go.

Thats Him Officer The WICKED One.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search