2003 Grand Am Ecotec - Page 2 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 2003 Grand Am Ecotec
Saturday, October 08, 2005 6:27 PM
My '02 2.2L / 5 speed

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/438183

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 7:25 PM
well heres what the eco looks like in the GA's..
i have done a bit to mine, plus i just got the tax return, so those GM headers may be on their way soon!
so far alot of the performance has been the intake and the RSM throttle body.
i really need an exhaust to accomodate for the extra air!

but heres the motor in the car.. LOT of room..

WEE!!
Friday, March 10, 2006 9:49 AM
Hey guys...I have a 2003 Grand Am GT coupe with the SC/T package and I am actually going to be doing an Ecotec swap in her...does anyone with an Ecotec Grand Am have ABS? Reason I ask is because I am going to be swapping my V6 computer with an 03' Ecotec Grand Am computer and I am wondering if I am going to be able to keep my ABS... Everything else as far as I know is fine.....

CHRIS
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 9:00 PM
I Drive a 2003 Grand Am 5 speed 2.2 ecotec, my car currently has 85,000 miles on it and ide say 75,000 of them are streetin' other wise known as burboin' and if you don’t believe me just ask the 4 transmission's and 1 motor ive gone thru....factory parts just don’t keep up w/ my constant beating.....when me and my car was in its younger years we were running 15.76 @ 93 mph now keep in mind that was w/ just 2 1/2 inch exhaust from manifold back w/ high flow cat, no resonator and a magnaflow muffler that’s it, everything else stock before my turbo I was pushin out 140 whp and 145 torque and 145 whp 149 torque w/ the intake off. I burbo'd everythin from metro to viper and won to almost every car in my class that’s Metro to 6 cyl Mustang basically hp ranges of 80 to 220. the few cars I didn't beat was the Honda civic si Honda Integra and the prelude the civ' and the lude I consider ties 3 wins 4 looses w/ the civ and 4 wins and 2 losses w/ the lude the Integra I think I can spank although I really haven’t had a chance to do an actual race on a other one the last one I did the kid wanted to go on a roll...and that’s not a race if you are dumb and cant launch your car then I don’t want to race you so all you little kids out there member you didn't win unless you did it from a stop so quit claimin victory on roll runz I lost 1 won 2 not enough races for me to claim victory on that car. however I think the civ has me beat. that’s pretty much the cars I lost to now of corse I lost to cars out of my class but I have some wins under my belt for some of them to, like a Pontiac gto...but we all know that’s cause of driver error or malfun…..nope just driver error...and there has yet to be an ecotec driver to take me down...no cavi' no sunny' no alero' no GA' no colbalt no saab no saturn and I got 2 redlines and 1 ss coblat...prob just driver error.....now where was I.....oh yes bragging bout me and my car....now I deff attribute my victories to mostly driver skill cause we all know its 30% car and 70% driver...now im not claimin im the best but come and run me see if you can take me 75,000 miles of just straight burboin' I think I can claim master of my car and mostly my clutch I have yet to see some one w/ quicker clutchin' then me now my launches aren’t the best but there not bad either...there are better launchers out there then me but not many...and I ussly get them on the shifts and still pull victory...and to all you kids out there thinkin superchargers are the way to go your dumb...that’s just it dumb....just remember we are talkin 4 cyl and fwd but fwd don’t really matter basically its the 4cyl aspect...now I want to give some advice to all you ecotec enthusiasts basically cause im tired not havin a challenge on the street.....there is 3 main reasons you don’t want supercharger....1 is traction how do you plan on putting that power to the ground? the moment you launch your car BAM! there goes the tires breakin loose oh what’s this 3rd gear my tires are breakin loose cause the pull from my super charger is so great...cool...no not cool that’s serious power your loosin on every shift.....and esp. on your launch...now you say but Prophit we can just adjust the pully's and we can get more top end power and loose some of the lower and stop some of the wheel spinnage.....that’s a fine idea but there is 1 prob....the supercharger is running off my motor...so what does that mean you ask? well if you try adding power you loose power so it sounds to me your getting no where....sure your makin some decent hp but the fact is its just slow in comparison to a turbo motor........tell me more you say? ok well you see if you got a turbo you 1 can minimize that wheel spinnage....witch is some what exciting....but still not good....other is you can give power w/ out takin power...now you say well you do take power when the exhaust spins the turbine all that back pressure slows the motor down....sure your right it does some people that don’t really know motors would say almost as much as a super charger....that’s a whole other discussion.....but what you don’t get is that when your compressed air gets forced in to the piston on its intake stroke and pushes that piston down harder.....yes I understand that the supercharger does the same thing......but in a turbo the other piston that’s on its exhaust stroke gets pushed out and basically countering the pressure it takes to spin the turbine thus resulting in 0 energy lost....not to mention all the exhaust gasses are going to be wasted if you don’t have a turbo....unlike the energy being used when the supercharger rudely snatched some of it to help out the motor......so you got basically free energy...why not use it if its free? if you use the right turbo combo w/ your ecotec and exhaust setup...see the trick is to match it up perfectly to your motor setup and that’s how you get the best power.....if you design it wrong then it will work like crap and give you poor power...basically a "bolt on" kit now keep in mind there are some respectable bolt on's but most of em are junk....you can get better power and at a lesser cost if you do the work yourself.....but if you do that it puts ppl like me outta a job....so atleast get some good advice b-4 you go and make the wrong design....please always remember burbon' is dangers do it smart and don’t kill yourself.....
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 9:09 PM
allmost forgot the 3rd thing....the blow off valve! whats not to love about that!
Tuesday, August 01, 2006 6:35 AM
I just bought a 04 GA and have AEM cold air intake, and already dusted some Civics and Accords.......
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search