New guy here.. Ecotec in a 34 Sedan. Have questions 8>) - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New guy here.. Ecotec in a 34 Sedan. Have questions 8>)
Saturday, April 04, 2009 10:24 AM
Hi guys,

I'm going to be helping a friend do a motor swap in a 34 Ford. He originally was going to use an LS based motor with 4L60E until I meassured some things out and showed him where he would have to sit and what kind of leg room he would have. Now he was interested in other smaller motors that would be be decently quick, reliable and substain a 75-80mph cruise. I think the Ecotec would be a perfect canidate.

I need to find out a bit of info and hoped I could get it here. Things I need to know:

We are open to both manual or auto trans behind it. I saw a bellhousing for a T5 and an adapter plate for a 200R4. I have seen a bunch of other threads on other boards saying they are working on things like 60E's. Are there any other plates out there yet or other bellhousings that will work say for a M6?

What is the average or decent asking price for a Supercharged pull out minus tranny? (Computer, harness and motor, TB to oil pan, AC and everything)

Would like to get a dimension for the following assuming crankshaft would be pointed down the center of the vehicle like a traditional RWD (Pictures with measurements would be extreamly helpful):
Front width with all accessories
Rear width with all accessories
Total height from bottom of the lowest to highest point
From furthest forward point to the trans mounting surface

I'm very familiar with HP tuners as a software as I use it for LS based stuff, but it looks like they do not have software to run an automatic with a factory ECM/TCM. Is there another software company that does?

I'm assuming this is a standard 58psi GM fuel set up? Or is it something different? I most likely would use an inline pump with an adjustable regulator unless I could put a Cobal or Solstice one in line like you can with LS swaps and a Vette Regulator, Camaros are a returnless in the tank.

Are there computer wiring diagrams available so I can figure out where to put power to for the ECM, which one fires the fuel pump relay, E-fans, SES light ect?

I thank all of you in advancec for any help you can provide. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Also, if this is not a good place to put this thread, I'm sorry I didn't see a swap section.

Shaun

Re: New guy here.. Ecotec in a 34 Sedan. Have questions 8>)
Saturday, April 25, 2009 6:04 PM
Hey Shaun,

Unfortunately, I don't have any answers for you. I am looking to do a similar swap into a rwd application. Perhaps we can swap info as we get it? Have you been able to determine if all ecotecs have provisions for rwd or are the solstice/sky blocks unique? Why are you and your friend looking to go auto? I'm planning to stick with a standard since it is a direct fit from the sky/solstice.

Thanks,
John
Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:33 PM
www.ecotecforum.com will be more of a help.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Saturday, March 06, 2010 12:36 PM
I've been researching this for a little while in my free time and figured I might as well register and chime in.

From what I was told by the guys at quad4rods, who make the T5 adaptor, all of the Family II ECOtecs have the same transmission bolt pattern, not just the LE5/LNF that have been used in the Solstice/sky. As far as other transmissions that can be used, a good option is the MA5 from the Colorado/Canyon. It is the same transmission that is in the Solstice but the shifter is about 6-8 inches forward and third gear is a little different. Should bolt right up to any of the ECOtecs.

As far as ECMs and harnesses go...if you are going to use the LSJ, MSD makes a Stand alone that is supposed to work. The MEFI 4. MSD MEFI4

If you use the LE5, the MEFI5 unit that is used on the marine version of the engine will work. There is also a few places you can get ECMs and wiring harnesses.
Here is one guy that makes them for the LE5 that is used in midget racing: Revolutionracing
You can also use the FAST XFI which is what is used on the Solstice Drift cars and is recommended by the guys at GMTunersource. FAST XFI
There is another guy who post on quite a few forums advertising ECM and harnesses for ECOtecs but I can't find a website for him. His name is Steve humphrey and his number is: 9099103867. (at least that is the number he puts in his posts)
The LNF is a no-go right now cause a stand alone ECM for the direct injection doesn't yet exsist although there has been some talk about stand alones being developed.

Also try GMtunersource.com they have some build books for the LSJ and have a lot of other info you are looking for. I think I found tech sheets with measurements of the blocks on that site. They are also very knoledgable about what ECMs and system can work with which ECOtecs. Hope this helps some.I might have some diagrams and info I could email that would be helpful, let me know if you want them and I'll email them in a few days when I have reliable internet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search