bent cam shafts in a 2.2L - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
bent cam shafts in a 2.2L
Thursday, April 16, 2009 9:16 PM
i am having a problem with my 2003 cavalier 2.2L ecotec. im having a problem starting it. i replaced crank sensor, plugs,coil pack, the boots for the coil pack and the ign module. and it still wont start. i had the battery and the starter checked n both fime. so i took it to my mechanic and he told me that my cam shafts r bent n pushed the lifters into the pistons and said i need a new motor. first of all how do u bent a cam shaft n 2nd does this all sound possible.

Re: bent cam shafts in a 2.2L
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:29 PM
First, is the engine cranking? If it is do you have or does it sound as if you are getting compression? I would imagine after changing the plugs and the ICM you should have spark. Check your fuel pressure. If you dont have a gauge don't sweat it. A very easy, but essentially messy way to determine if you have fuel pressure is to turn the key to the ACC position, pop the hood and on the fuel rail you will see a fuel pressure test port. Remove the plastic cap and grab a screw driver and a shop rag. Gently press the test stem inward while holding the shop rag to prevent gas from spraying everywhere. If you get a blast of fuel, you have pressure. If you dont, change the fuel filter. If that dont work, you possibly have a bad fuel pump. If you have spark and fuel, check to ensure you are getting sufficient air flow. Make sure the air filter is not clogged beyond belief. Check these and then let us know what you find out from there. I will be glad to help further after you check this out! Good luck.
Re: bent cam shafts in a 2.2L
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:32 PM
i have fuel pressure n just found out after taking the valve cover off that my cams are twisted n lifters broken n im guessing my timing jumped n thats y i think im not getting any spark
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search