ECOTEC on an Aircraft - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ECOTEC on an Aircraft
Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:15 PM
I am building a gyroplane. I am considering an ecotech instead of the planned subaru engine. I am looking for around 200 horse at the crank.

This link shows a similar concept where a guy did this on a small gyroplane. My aircraft is larger and heavier.'

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23089

If anybody could give me suggestions about where to find horsepower and torque for the various engines.

Also, I can not use the turbo or supercharged units. I must stick with nothing more than fuel injection. I can change cams and do other upgrades.

I am looking for straight talk, no BS, just some honest answers.

Thanks to all of you for your time and feedback.

Stay safe,

utahgyrocop

utahgyrocop@yahoo.com
Heath Lowry
Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: ECOTEC on an Aircraft
Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:51 PM
I understand why a supercharger wont work, but why not a turbo? If anything a turbocharged engine would be better than N/A because it wont loose power as you gain altitude.

If you bump up the compression(stock is 10:1) on the 2.2L eco, port the head, and install a new valvetrain with a set of stage 2 or 3 comp cams, you should be near that mark.

The 2.0L supercharged eco come stock with 205hp and the 2.0L turbocharged eco has 260hp stock.

The 2.4L N/A eco is rated at 175hp i believe.

All the engine can be found in different models of Cobalts, but they all have drive-by-wire systems. 2003 - 2005 Cavaliers and Sunfires had one engine option and that was the 2.2L ecotec(140hp stock). The 2.2L Cavalier/Sunfire ecotec engine is by far the easiest to locate due to the number that were made and they also have cable throttles.

The sister site for this site(J-body.org) has ALOT of info on the 2.2L Cavalier/Sunfire ecotec. There is also Ecotecforum.com which encompasses all the engines in the Ecotec(no "h", it is one of our pet peeves) family.

Side note, there is no production 2.3L Ecotec. Judging by the pic on the link you provided the guy is using a 2.2L Cavalier/Sunfire ecotec(yes it is possible that it had a custom stroker build).

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Re: ECOTEC on an Aircraft
Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:23 AM
The reason for the turbo/supercharger issue is fairly simple. The FAA views these components as "complex" if you add them they are hesitant to pass your aircraft at certification. Additonally with a turbo there is signficant heat issues. We run at high rpm for extended periods of time while flying. Typically in the Soob's we are running 8000 rpm for up to 2 hours straight.

I personally am not opposed to using a turbo engine, but the complexity of that kind of a system would be a nightmare to get by the FAA. Possible, but a nightmare.

Please keep the comments coming.

Heath

(PS: That is a pretty cool gyroplane..at least I think so!)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search