Blue smoke problem at high revs - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Blue smoke problem at high revs
Wednesday, December 02, 2009 1:23 AM

Hi everyone this is my first post on here. I have an issue with my car (UK Vauxhall VX220) blowing out a cloud of blue at high revs (5900rpm +).
The car is fitted with a z22se ecotec engine which I think is the uk equivalent of the L61.
My main thoughts are the PCV system which is what has led me to this site as there seems to be a lot of knowledge on here regarding the PCV system. I also feel the issue could be piston ring related however a compression test has shown full compression across all cylinders.
Obviously the car is using oil because of this and the car seems to kick out the smoke less as the oil becomes less full - as soon as I top up to full the cloud is more noticeable again - sounds linked to oil pressure
Also it doesn't happen everytime the car approaches redline - some days it does it lots, others not so much. Also seems to be temperature dependent as in if the car has sat in heavy traffic and the engine is hot it will do it more until it has cooled down slightly.

I have had this problem for about 6 months and it is driving me crazy!! Strangely the problem seemed to start after an oil change where I aslo re-sealed the sump as it had a slight leak in the gasket - could it be that pressure was leaving the crankcase through this leak and so the smoke is oil being forced out somewhere else such as the PCV vent?

I'm wondering if I should try blocking off the pcv port in the head/inlet manifold as I feel this could be a cause of the problem letting the oil into the manifold (i did read that on some later models of the L61 the orifice size in the manifold was too big and gave similar symptoms), what do you guys think? Would this cause huge problems or would the engine then vent through the rocker breather?

Any suggestions or any tests I can do to pinpoint the problem would be great!

Thanks

Jimbo

Re: Blue smoke problem at high revs
Monday, December 21, 2009 1:05 AM
Its your oil rings! Your compression can be fine! but 1 cyl is bad. Look at your plugs if you havent changed them allready. It might be discolored. I have seen this before with other vehicles.

BUY SOME RINGS

Michael
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search