Swap an Ecotec I4 into a '90 Camaro? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Swap an Ecotec I4 into a '90 Camaro?
Monday, August 23, 2010 2:55 PM
Hey,

I have an idea of swapping an Ecotec into my '90 Camaro. It would be replacing the V8 that was originally in there. The SBC/LSx V8 in a 3rd-Gen F-body seems kind of "played out" to me. I have an '06 Cobalt SS Supercharged, and I have been nothing but IMPRESSED by the Ecotec LSJ. No one has done an Ecotec I4 swap into a 3rd-Gen F-body, and I'm not really afraid of being the first...

Okay, what would be the best way to mount the motor in the engine bay? Do all Ecotec's have mounting bosses on the "sides" of the engine, if it were mounted longitudinally? I'm assuming the LE5 and LNF that come in the Solstice and the Sky have them because those cars are RWD, but I don't know if ALL Ecotec's have these bosses...

Also, what mounts/brackets should I use? I have been told that the mounts/brackets out of the Solstice/Sky will mount the engine properly in a 3rd-Gen F-body, but I have no confirmation. I will not use solid mounts...

How much torque can the Aisin AR5 be built to handle? I am planning on a turbocharger going in with the motor to make somewhere between 400-500RWHP. Can the AR5 be built to handle that? I have found Ecotec to T5 adapter bellhousings if the Aisin AR5 proves to inadequate...

Any help or info on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I would also appreciate no "blasting", "flaming", outright @!#$-talking, or pissing matches. I'll just ignore that kind of stuff or, if it gets bad enough, ask a moderator to delete it.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Re: Swap an Ecotec I4 into a '90 Camaro?
Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:57 AM
^ BUMP ^
Re: Swap an Ecotec I4 into a '90 Camaro?
Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:10 PM
yes all of the 2.2's and the 2.4's have the side mounting holes. The ar5 seems to hold up even under the torque of the lsx conversions in the solstice. have you though about the lnf charger on the le5 (2.4). same basic internals and more to start with. And vvt. Questions? give me a call, Steve Humphrey 909 910 3867
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search