car stalled (automatic trans) cranks but will not start - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
car stalled (automatic trans) cranks but will not start
Thursday, November 18, 2010 12:27 PM
hello,

i need some help. my 02 grand am with the 2.2 liter ecotec / auto trans stalled while driving. i checked the belts (ok) i checked fuses,relays (seem ok) i checked battery (12.7v after repeated cranking attempts) pulled coil pack and 1 plug, checked for spark and i have spark from coil pack. i smelled fuel when i was testing for spark so i am assuming i have fuel being delivered. the strange part is the starter spins the engine (when cranking all pulleys move) but you dont get the loud ticking noise... any ideas ??? also there are no abnormal faults in the ecu. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Re: car stalled (automatic trans) cranks but will not start
Saturday, April 07, 2012 7:15 AM
mike basalyga wrote:hello,

i need some help. my 02 grand am with the 2.2 liter ecotec / auto trans stalled while driving. i checked the belts (ok) i checked fuses,relays (seem ok) i checked battery (12.7v after repeated cranking attempts) pulled coil pack and 1 plug, checked for spark and i have spark from coil pack. i smelled fuel when i was testing for spark so i am assuming i have fuel being delivered. the strange part is the starter spins the engine (when cranking all pulleys move) but you dont get the loud ticking noise... any ideas ??? also there are no abnormal faults in the ecu. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

sir good day to you just try to search google if you can find your question..
nice thread sir..
Re: car stalled (automatic trans) cranks but will not start
Sunday, April 15, 2012 8:12 PM
I work on a lot of ecotec 2.2 engines. My first guess would be that the timing chain has has slipped or failed. check the compression on all cylinders.
I'll bet you have none. Many times the chain skips enough for the pistons to come up and hit the valves( bending the valves).
Its not the end of the world but some may think so.
Pull off the valve cover if you have no compression. Tell me if the timing chain still is connected around both camshaft sprockets, if its not its broken.
Next, turn the engine so both cam lobes are up. Feel the roller-cam followers and see if they are sloppy. If yes, you have bent valves and the head will
have to come off and be rebuilt.
Let me know what you find.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search