Overall size of Ecotecs? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Overall size of Ecotecs?
Wednesday, May 02, 2007 8:26 PM
Hi all, I'm a noob to the ecotec engines. I don't have one right now but I make be starting a project with one. I was wondering where I could go to find the overall size of the Ecotec engines. Are they all the same externally minus the SS/SC's? I may be starting a project and need to know if the engine will fit. I know it sounds weird asking is a small Ecotec will fit into a vehicle. And I am sure just the 2.2L versions will have plenty of power for what I am trying to do. I wish not to tell what I am possibly going to put the engine in. I want to be the first one to do this but it's going to take a while to get it all started as I'm a poor college student. And no, it won't be going into my Camaro. That's what an LSX if for.

Thanks for your help,
Ryan

Re: Overall size of Ecotecs?
Friday, May 04, 2007 12:36 AM
There is:

1. L61 2.2
2. LSJ 2.0
3. LE5 2.4
4. LNF 2.0 T
5. LK9 2.0 T
6. LAT 2.4

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, May 04, 2007 8:33 AM
Thanks for that info. I was referring to the external dimensions, Thanks though. Now I know the RPOs.
Friday, May 04, 2007 7:03 PM
oooh lol ok

I can't remember the dimensions, sorry.

What car is it going in?

Friday, May 04, 2007 9:25 PM
Alright, I guess I'll tell. HOPEFULLY a classic mini. I'd like to get the same performance as a VTEC swapped mini. I am strictly a domestic fan, but the minis fascinate me. And I wouldn't be cause dead with a VTEC engine in any of my cars. But like how many people do you know with a classic mini. And I think I'll be the first with a ecotec mini if all goes well. This probably won't happen for another year or two, but I'd like to gather as much info as possible.
Saturday, May 05, 2007 3:39 AM
L61 is the engine for you then

Monday, May 07, 2007 2:07 PM
I'm about to pull one out of a ga, I'll let you know!
Monday, December 24, 2007 11:27 PM
I am thinking about using an ECOTEC engine and transmission in a Front Engine Rear Wheel Drive project that I am starting.
I have a 1959 Austin-Healey Mark 1 Sprite (Bugeye). That I want to install a reliable light weight drive-train in.

I am seriously considering the engine and transmission from a Pontiac Solstice or a Saturn Sky.
I want to use the base engine because the Bugeye is already so small and light that it would be very easy to overpower and require a lot more chassis modification as the power and weight increase.
I have seen a lot of engine/drive train swaps into a Bugeye on the internet, but have not found an ECOTEC installed in one yet.

I am familiar with the VTEC instillation into a Mini. Mini Tec is currently building one for me.
The are installing a 2006 i-VTEC which is the new K-series from an Acura in my 1965 Classic Mini Traveler (station wagon).
It should have more than adequate power for the approximate 1,800 lb. weight of the Mini.
I don't want to over modify the Bugeye like I am doing the Mini.
I enjoy all types of cars and have owned many GM cars, especially muscle cars, more Chevrolets than Pontiacs.

I recently acquired this Bugeye from the original owner and do not want to reinstall the little 948cc engine.

Does anyone know if someone has installed an ECOTEC and a 5-speed in a Bugeye?
I figure the Solstice/Sky will provide the best combination engine and transmission, unless someone has a better suggestion?

I am thinking of test driving a Solstice or Sky just to bring it home and measure the engine and transmission while it is sitting next to the Bugeye in order to determine the extent of modification that will be required on the Bugeye Sprite.

Thanks for any information or help that will be provided.
Monday, August 15, 2011 8:29 PM
actually, fist time to hear this kind of modification. installing ECOTEC in bugeye. i'll try to ask my austin mechanic. and try to check out the austin tsb, maybe there something that may help in this topic.
Monday, August 15, 2011 8:31 PM
actually, fist time to hear this kind of modification. installing ECOTEC in bugeye. i'll try to ask my austin mechanic. and try to check out the austin tsb, maybe there something that may help in this topic. i'll try to be back.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search