05' ecotec - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
05' ecotec
Sunday, February 29, 2004 12:42 PM
I'm sure you have all heard about the new ecotec. 2.4L 170 horse VVt. Anyone know if an engine swap can occur with the older cars.

Re: 05' ecotec
Sunday, February 29, 2004 4:43 PM
yea everyone knows about it but nobody actually has one to compare with to see what fits and what dont

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, March 02, 2004 5:37 AM
i believe that the 2.4 eco and the 2.2eco have the same motor mounts, and the same mounting points etc. the only problem you might run into would be space... even then i think it should still fit... you might have to do some cramming but it should work... by the way, i wouldnt do the swap. Try and find my post on it in the other 2.4 eco forum to see what i mean.

by the way.. im not possitive the swap is possible its just a guess
Friday, June 11, 2004 12:27 AM
itl fit
ive done the research

has the same block so space isnt an issue
tb may be a @!#$ <br>

2003 Cavalier LS Sport Coupe 5-speed(what else is there)
15.563@88.87
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the
world that he doesn't exist. www.avengedsevenfold.com
Sunday, June 13, 2004 8:34 AM
Yes but the computer and all the wiring should be different, so I hope your a friggin mechanical and electrical, genius, plus the new cobalt has an electronically controlled throttle its not fly by wire like the current ecotec so thats a whole other ball game, so in recap, these are the main difficulties ina swap of the new Ecotec,

1. Computer needs to be swapped out along with entire wiring/ electrical system for it and all sensors from new model.

2. Electronic throttle would have to be adapted to work in our cars.

3. Our cars don't have I-VVT ( intelligent variable valve timing), so that is an other swap issue, all sorts of sensors and monitoring systems for that technology.

4. Last would be a competent mechanic, you'd need somone familiar with the new Ecotec to do it, a damn good knowledge base, and/or a freackin engine and computer wizard.

So its not impossible, but its money, time, and hard work that's probably better spent on a turbo or Nitrous set-up...........At least in my opinion. Sure I'd love to have I-vvt in my car but its not gonna be like V-tec for Chevys so if thats what your looking for buy a Honda.

Now i"m not the master on this subject but this is what Event (Dirty Muffins), one of the perfomance and mechanical knowledge superstars on JBO told me and a bunch of other people, so go on JBO and look it up if you want more info than this.......................

But I will admit it would be cool to roll up and say "Yeah I got a 2.0L I-VVT Supercharged Ecotec" to a bunch of fellow j-body enthusiasts and be sporting a 03 or 04 cavy and/or sunfire badge.

James K. <br>

Sunday, June 13, 2004 3:55 PM
why do you need a comp wizard?
the wiring should already be there w/ the new engine
should also have a comp so thats all taken care of
not too difficult if you have some sense to you and know a bit about cars

its not like swapping different engine that has different mounts
the mounting points are the same
i know
ive looked for this specifically in the ion since it has the same body platform as the cobolts

<br>

2003 Cavalier LS Sport Coupe 5-speed(what else is there)
15.563@88.87
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the
world that he doesn't exist. www.avengedsevenfold.com
Monday, June 14, 2004 7:53 PM
Well I'm just referring to the "not so engine literate" when I talk to about the comp, it would just be a lot of work for the "literate", but there is a definite issue with the throttle controls, because they'd need to be adapted to fit our cars (not sure what that all entails). It is possible but it would cost a lot regardless of new/junkyard engine, and would take a while, not for you everyday bolt-on tuner thats for sure, but it is possible so consider it, but I'd say its easier to go turbo or Nitrous on the already stable 2.2 Ecotec we have, its been proven to handle it....................It would still be cool to have any of the new eco's swapped in, just not sure if its worth it, later James <br>

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search