5 speed ION - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
5 speed ION
Wednesday, March 10, 2004 1:45 PM
I have a question for everyone. Does the 5 speed ION have the same tranny as the 5 speed cavy or sunfire? I believe the ION has the F23 getrag tranny, but I'm not too sure. The reason I am asking is because I would think that if they're the same, the short throw shifters would match as well. Am I right? Opinions?

Re: 5 speed ION
Friday, March 12, 2004 5:03 PM
as far as i know no one has tried it yet

<br>

Friday, March 12, 2004 9:30 PM
I was looking at the other thread for the B&M short throw and I think it'll work with the ION as it also works in the grand am's with the f23 getrag as well.
Monday, April 05, 2004 1:39 PM
ions with the 5 speed manual have the same tranny as our cavs.

ions with the autos thank god,do not have the same tranny as our cavs, the gear ratios on the 5 speed saturn auto blows.

. <br>

207 hp cavy
18,000 so far

200 hp rsx type S
23,900 still stock

I love my car
Thursday, April 08, 2004 7:52 AM
so do you think if I removed the reverse lockout feature, I could use it? How does the reverse lockout thing come off? I don't want to buy the short throw and then I can't get it off. Any suggestions?
Thursday, June 03, 2004 7:15 AM
almost positive it'll work...just have tear into it some more and check it out...we need a short shifter badly though, along with some solid mounts...wheelhop sucks...

BTW, the tranny's are the same, except the final drive is somethin like .100 or .010 taller on the ion, but the rest is exactly the same... <br>

STC
Divide & Conquer

Join Us At Sixthsphere!
Tuesday, June 15, 2004 12:22 PM
cool, well when I have money to play around with, I'll buy one of the cavy short shifters, and see if I can put that in. I would love a short shifter in my car. Right now I feel like I'm shifting a yard stick.
Wednesday, June 23, 2004 9:47 AM
The B&M keeps the reverse lockout feature... why get rid of it?
<br>

Friday, June 25, 2004 11:36 AM
cause it doesnt work 100% of the time , and its kinda anoying

<br>

Friday, August 20, 2004 8:31 AM
My car has a reverse synchro, so I can shift into reverse while I'm still rolling forward and not hurt my tranny. For the record I don't, but if I ever did it while still rolling slightly (say by accident or something), my tranny is ok still. So, in essense I don't need the reverse lockout feature. Also I have a momo sphere shift knob and it cannot fit on a shifter shaft with reverse lockout in place, so it's best to remove it in my case.
Tuesday, August 24, 2004 7:58 AM
I've got the B&M Jbody short shifter in my Grand AM and the reverse lock out mysteriousley stopped working, which is fine with me.
I kept the stock shifter knob too. <br>

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 Mods: Weapon R Hyper Intake - RSM 62MM TB - Cat-back w/ Dynomax Super Turbo - Eibach Pro-Kit - B&M Shifter - Advanti's w/ Michelin XGT 225/45/17 - F/R STB - KYB GR2's - Next Level Sway Bar

Saturday, August 28, 2004 6:54 PM
Yep, it'll should work. I have a co-worker who is tearing the heck out of his ion, and
I'm pretty sure it will work. <br>

03 sedan "ecotec" powered.
93 RS
87RS
Monday, November 01, 2004 11:42 AM
i had to butcher the collar around my tranny to put on my aftermarket shift knob and while i was in there i also took out the reverse safety thing which is just a little peice of plastic to cut off with tin snips....take off the boot cover and have a look..its really easy
But if you dont have another shift knob beware cuz the stock one might not work again
Sunday, January 02, 2005 3:30 AM
Any update on using it on a ION?

I'm thinking i'm gonna buy one and just try it, if it's a no go i can probably sell it easily around here.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search