Why Speed Limiters Exist - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Why Speed Limiters Exist
Thursday, April 28, 2005 1:19 PM
Do you realy want to go more than 108MPH?

[IMG]
[/IMG]

Re: Why Speed Limiters Exist
Friday, April 29, 2005 5:27 PM
lol is that a Car.

Driving way over the limit is not an option. Beside our cavy/sunfire has a bad rating in collision all over it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My Car Specs
Club J-Body Montreal Forums
Friday, April 29, 2005 7:12 PM
Which end is the front?

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Friday, May 06, 2005 1:16 PM
The top picture is the front.
Sunday, May 08, 2005 7:28 PM
wow and that is in florida too

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:13 AM
speed limiters are stupid to me i say let the idiots kill them self's

see ya!

Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:00 AM
Back when people werew hotrodding their cars (muscle cars) they didn't need limiters, they were smart enough to know their limits. 500HP was nothing, nobody gave it a second thought. PEOPLE KNEW THEIR LIMITS! Kids today dont. I'll drive my 500HP camaro anyday for safety than the cavalier, no 2nd thought.

1971 camaro 427 --- here!

Stock... and loving every minute of it.
Friday, August 12, 2005 1:49 PM
hello guys im new here..just dont understand why your 2.2 ecotecs are only 108 flat out?ive got the 2.2 ecotec vauxhall vectra and it has a top speed of 138mph/147bhp..surely there must be an easy way to sort this problem out on your cars?maybe the e.c.u.outta my car would help(or at least not my actual car but you know)...just a thought...
dave...
Sunday, August 14, 2005 3:39 PM
so thats why speed limiters exist. so when i bounce off it towards the end of the quarter mile its so i dont go around a corner and into a field.
Tuesday, August 30, 2005 10:09 AM
well it has nothing to do with the brakes or suspension i think it has to do with tire speed rating seriously

see ya!

Thursday, October 06, 2005 1:56 PM
Personally i think its all the ricers out there who think that running a 18 sec in the 1/4 mile is fast. I'm mainly talking about the civics and ford focuses. (well that's what the ricers mainly drive in my area) They add that rediculous 5 inch exhaust and loose hp. Now I love my honda so i'm not just biased. But personally I just don't think that these ricers know that more than half the cars on the street can take them. and not everyone driving is looking for a race.

Monday, October 10, 2005 10:48 AM
alot is because of the speed rated tires , alot is safety issues

but a accident like that pictured above can happen at 30mph as well as 108mph

Friday, December 30, 2005 7:14 AM
2.2L ECOTEC wrote:Back when people werew hotrodding their cars (muscle cars) they didn't need limiters, they were smart enough to know their limits. 500HP was nothing, nobody gave it a second thought. PEOPLE KNEW THEIR LIMITS! Kids today dont. I'll drive my 500HP camaro anyday for safety than the cavalier, no 2nd thought.

Um, How about the fact that those old mucle cars running 4.11 gears in the rear couldn't go very fast for very long anyway. Red light to red light they rule but out on open highway those steep gears kill you.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Friday, December 30, 2005 9:55 AM
Alot of what people say is complete BS...I dont understand how all the people that try to say "No I'm not going to tell you" is hypocritical when they all do it to some slow cars(not needing to go faster than 108)
It is all a choice if you want to go past 108, I would've liked to see it at 120 myself
topping out in fourth gear sucks

Monday, January 02, 2006 7:22 AM
I can do it, but I've only done it twice. Personily I won't tell cause if you can't figure it out on your own then you do not have the experence with cars that you should if you want to go that fast. Sorry if you think its BS but I'm not telling.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:30 AM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]alot is because of the speed rated tires , alot is safety issues

but a accident like that pictured above can happen at 30mph as well as 108mph

amen brother

Friday, January 20, 2006 12:29 PM
this is one of the comments i love, think for a second and be smart, if you ran the engine with no exhaust, no pipes just right out of the headers the engine would run more efficient for power beacuse there is almost no back pressure, the exhaust doesnt have to travel down those pipes being forced by the engine out of the car, back pressure is bad for n/a engines whereas turbos require that little bit of pressure to spin the turbines, they would only have the problems of mass air building in that 5 inch pipe not expelling fast enough, so no exhaust pipes/mufflers is more power efficient than any size exhaust, dont believe me search around for some information that doesnt come from a greddy site trying to make your 1k$ for their cat back system that increases HP

the only reason exhaust pipes/mufflers exist is because of the heat, 1000+ degrees of exhaust wouldnt be happy in your engine bay or anywhere else but out the back of the car cooled AND blasted through those converters resonators and mufflers, for the simple reason it pollutes the air
Friday, January 20, 2006 12:34 PM
and on another note, it is mostly the tire ratings and safety for the occupants, alot of late 90's kias shut off at 140, dont ask me why they must have used better tires and had better crash ratings, because frankly j-body cars are horrible crash wise, why you think insurance is higher than most vehicles and its not even a sports car? i pay more for my cavalier than i did my eclipse, and 2 family members that work for insurance companies told me i would pay more for my eclipse on full coverage than a brand new mercedes, now i pay even MORE
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 8:34 PM
L33tJbody (Brandon Gathye) wrote:Alot of what people say is complete BS...I dont understand how all the people that try to say "No I'm not going to tell you" is hypocritical when they all do it to some slow cars(not needing to go faster than 108)
It is all a choice if you want to go past 108, I would've liked to see it at 120 myself
topping out in fourth gear sucks

I figured the 108 was to do with the limitation of their factory tires as well, but really....why not 110? The speedo says 110...at least give us the satisfaction of being able to bury the needle! xD
Monday, January 30, 2006 7:56 PM
If you believe your statement about no backpressure give it a try. I can guarantee you that you will not have as much torque at lower rpm's without backpressure. I've seen V-8 cars change from single exhaust to full dual exhaust and then not be able to spin the tires from a deadstart when before they could. Why do you think drag racers use different length and tube sizes in their headers? The last thing a Honda needs is to kill low end torque, since they have little to spare. They just want a big exhaust because they saw it on a Supra, but a Supra has a turbocharged engine.
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 3:54 AM
my cava goes beyond of 108 now my cava goes 130 and up

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 4:01 AM
a have a orange vavalier the honda dont have a chance
y what to know if there are other thing to my car becuase always here in Puerto Rico
there no parts to may cars here are honda
Thursday, February 02, 2006 7:07 AM
giovanhalen wrote:If you believe your statement about no backpressure give it a try. I can guarantee you that you will not have as much torque at lower rpm's without backpressure. I've seen V-8 cars change from single exhaust to full dual exhaust and then not be able to spin the tires from a deadstart when before they could. Why do you think drag racers use different length and tube sizes in their headers? The last thing a Honda needs is to kill low end torque, since they have little to spare. They just want a big exhaust because they saw it on a Supra, but a Supra has a turbocharged engine.

it's not backpressure, it's a scavenging effect that actually pulls the exhaust gasses away from the head. If the pipe is too large it's not effective because the volume is too high to allow any vacuum, if it's too small you won't get enough of one.

With a turbocharger it doesn't matter because it pushes the exhaust gasses out on its own.

-Chris

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 1:44 PM
Justin Hudson wrote:dont believe me search around for some information that doesnt come from a greddy site trying to make your 1k$ for their cat back system that increases HP

LOL, already been there. exhaust systems are present mainly for noise and emissions, but they provide necessary backpresure to an efficient engine. do some research on intake manifold pulse tuning, and youll find that the drastic drop in torque, especially on the low end is attributed to part of the incoming intake charge being blown out of the exhaust on overlap. all that fuel youre tring to get into the cylinder to make power just went out the exhaust unburned.

you were saying something about being smart?
Saturday, February 11, 2006 12:58 AM
Where did this go from governors to exhaust?

Anyhoo, a speed governer is usually used in the case of, tire ratings, vehicle stability at speeds, keep the speed under certain limits for classification purposes (sports car, etc).

Besides, if you look at your speedo when you're pulling 108mph, whats the RPM of the engine? On my auto 03 cavi, i'm reving about 3200rpm.

Its also used to keep the engine from getting too close to redline and wearing out prematurely.

Freakin morons.... When will they learn. Hold On Not Done Accelerating
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search