Why Speed Limiters Exist - Page 2 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Why Speed Limiters Exist
Thursday, February 16, 2006 9:15 AM
Word up to the cat that was talking about insurance on Cavy's being so high. It is a joke.

But back to the top speed limiter, I'm with most of the folks that are saying it has to deal with the safety of YOU being the one driving the car. If the tires can't stand more than 108 mph then you start accelerating to those kinds of speeds. Then GM ends up with a law suit because they new the tires wouldn't hold up under that kind of pressure and didn't do anything to keep the driver from pushing the cars limits.

And it's not about top speed anyway. It's all about how fast you get there. Read up on your magazines more, most cars don't even reach 108 in the quarter mile. So why does it matter?

Yes it sucks just knowing that your car has a limit. I agree, but it shouldn't be one of the first things you are looking to do to your car. Most cars are at least a 4-5 year project unless you just have all the money to begin with. So don't be to pushy to get your brand new ecotec engine of the limiter. Savor the fact of having such a PIMP tight car.

lol.

Friday, March 17, 2006 8:40 PM
Speed Limiters are definitely tied to the Speed rating of the tires. The tires on my 05 Sunfire are T rated which is good for 118 mph. I woulda thought GM would have made it an even 110.

Is the limiter on an 05 Sunfire Auto 108 mph?
Friday, March 17, 2006 8:44 PM
Do they make a power programmer to change the limiter on an ecotec? You could always put on better rated tires and raise the limiter appropriately.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search