noob with questions - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
noob with questions
Sunday, September 18, 2005 12:49 PM
Hi all,
I started looking for some engine choices for my Lotus 7 replica, and started looking at the ecotec. Have a few questions:

1- I read that the dressed engine weight is 305 lbs, which includes all accessories. I only need the water pump and alternator. Any idea what the engine with just the water pump and alternator weighs?

2- How does the Ecotec compare in weight with its competitors from Honda, Toyota, Ford, etc...?

3- Apparently this engine doesn't mate to a T56 using any of the GM bellhousings. Is this correct? What transmission choices do I have for handling up to 400 horses in a rear drive application?

4- What turbo setups do you guys recommend?

My car currently has a olds/buick/rover 3.5L aluminum V8 in it, and weighs roughly 1500 lbs. I bought the car with this engine. My understanding is the engine as configured in my car weighs 320 lbs, which is very light for a V8, and is rated at 200 horses. Variants of this engine are in the current range rover products (up to 4.6L), rated at 300 horses.

Just considering other options, including an LS1/2/6, which fits in the car, but is heavier.

the drawback of the LSx engines besides the weight is that everything is very expensive. I see stock used Ecotec engines going for 500 on ebay.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Re: noob with questions
Monday, November 07, 2005 5:58 AM
did you reference the gm sport compact build book? i think they modified an auto transmission but i think they still did use something pretty close to stock

As a last resort, what about modifying an existing stock transmission, replacing the internals with parts rated for higher speeds/heavier loads?

i will check a little later to see if i can find something that will work
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search