New here and don't know where to put this - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New here and don't know where to put this
Monday, October 31, 2005 4:13 PM
I have been reading up on the Ecotec platform and am quite impressed with it. I think I read somewhere that they have individual cylinder pressure sensors. Is that correct? Also what type of aftermarket tuning software/hardware is available (no chips please)? Can I find a wire diagram for a 2005 model free somewhere?

Re: New here and don't know where to put this
Monday, October 31, 2005 4:44 PM
Found a wire diagram (http://www.ny-jbodies.org/library/engine/ecotec/PCMwires.asp) kind of answers my 1st question so on to the 2nd if you can please.
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 6:08 AM
GREAT!!! I was looking for the same thing....
Havent had much chance to look it over yet but FYI, i want to make a custom ECU, interested?
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 4:06 PM
I guess I am stuck posting this here (cannot find a pm or email for you).
Yes I am interested and could give some good help to you (parts locations and needs). On the other forum I belong to someone posted this link http://www.TFX.com they make pressure based tuning tools (I think the site is quite poor, but nice to know it is there). They also thought that it is Saab that uses the sensors (though I have not checked this yet). I see that you went to school (?) and are an engineer, what type? Also if you are serious you should look into patents first to see if you can patent your design (I will try to find out also). Keep me updated.
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 4:13 PM
Ok I just found the paper where they said Saab was using a similar system (not sure of exact address) SAE Technical Paper Series #2003-01-3149. It says they use an Inization signal to detect knock; similar but cannot get as much useful info as the TFX setup. Is there an edit option? I have posting twice in 3 min.
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 7:54 PM
why yes, i am an engineer, mechanical and electrical, with my specialty being drive systems. However, my manager cant seem to read my resume and i have been working in software development lately.

odd that you should mention patents, my sister just sent me a bunch of information. i will post my email address sometime tomorrow for you and we can further discuss a bit of what i had in mind. i also have a day off this week so i will try to come up with a thorough plan.
Saturday, November 05, 2005 7:14 PM
hptuners.com is coming out with something for the j-body ecotec.

Saturday, November 05, 2005 11:20 PM
i was actually hoping to include more features and measurements than would be available on the stock ECU. the hypertech would probably be the easier solution but wheres the fun in that
Sunday, November 06, 2005 3:36 PM
Like what? The hyper tech uses the stock ecu also with less options.

Sunday, November 06, 2005 7:51 PM
Ok i dont think you are grasping the concept here, Tom

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN REPROGRAMMING AN ECU

An automotive "ECU" or "PCM" or "ECM" or whatever you would like to call it breaks down the same for all cars.....its a microcontroller that is flashed with a "command set" or a program. the microcontroller's inputs and outputs are then connected to pre-amps, buffers, and electronic circuitry to prevent noise interference (thats electrical noise).
From here, the automotive computer then interfaces with the car's sensors and relays.
This is not only a breakdown for an automotive controller, but for pretty much any modern microcontroller control system (example: your PC).

Now, your suggestion of using the Hypertech tuner....
what about fuel management, nitrous oxide control, boost control, engine ambient temperature, cylinder temperature, pressure in the cylinders, fuel flow, onboard dyno (crank and wheels), emmisions monitoring......etc etc
it is my understanding that you would need atleast one extra onboard computer that would cost hundreds of dollars, plus the cost of your hypertech tuner.

I have an extra M68HC12 microcontroller that i may use to attempt this (i do not know at this point if it will meet the requirements). once i complete the first one, it will cost me approximately $125 US and take me less than 10 min to make one. the extra sensors would be something that could be added on at another point (plug and play, by properly programming the CPU).

oh and FYI, most microcontrollers are programmed by simple C/C++ programming. However, i will probably be programming using Assembly language, it is part of a method i have used for software protection as well as timing issues (i will probably be able to knock off atleast 1 ms per cycle).

Any other questions?
Monday, November 14, 2005 11:07 AM
a custom ECU seems like rocket science (or atleast to me, maybe not an engineer). wondering how long you expect it to take, and also what you are going to make it control. how about another post with some juicy details.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search