shift knob removal?? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
shift knob removal??
Saturday, November 27, 2004 6:10 AM
I have a 04 alero with the 2.2l ecotec and 5 speed tranny and i want to replace my shift knob with an aftermarket one, but i can't seem to figure out how to get it off. also is there anyway i could disable the reverse lockout feature so i don't have to lift the collar to shift into reverse?
Thanks in advance,
Nick

Re: shift knob removal??
Saturday, November 27, 2004 10:13 AM
I know this one! lol...well if you do want to use aftermarket shift knobs you probably will forever because once you take off the stock one i'm not sure you can put it back on..heres why..inside the shifter it is full of this blue foam and the top of the shifter is gridded to give it grip so in order to get it off just pull really hard...but you cannot use threaded knobs because there is no thread..un less you get out the tap + die set.....as for the reverse lockout...you probably will have to remove that too...here's how you do it...
pull up on the leather boot or use a screwdriver underneath it to get the little tranny trim plate thing off of it...and then you will see how the reverse lockout works...it is just a little plastic knob that gets blocked by a pin so you will have to just cut it off smooth...a sharp razor blade or dremel tool works best..also you may have to cut the black plastic collar on the shifter to accomodate your knob...now can i say"moderator"?
Re: shift knob removal??
Saturday, November 27, 2004 12:17 PM
Thanks , I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know how i made out.
Nick
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search