more boost from gm supercharger? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
more boost from gm supercharger?
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 7:09 AM
I have the gm supercharger for 04 cavalier. wondering if I can change pulley size for more boost? will this mess up factory reflash of ecu or will it compensate? already running at 10lbs. if so what size pulley?

Re: more boost from gm supercharger?
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:59 AM
You can check out the stage 1 and stage 2 kits for the Cobalt SS SC version. The stage 1 comes with new injectors and a smaller pully and belt. The stage 2 includes all of stage 1 plus an ECU reflash and other odds and ends.

You may want to get that thing intercooled BEFORE you do that cause it will increase the incoming air temps.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, August 17, 2006 6:26 PM
The staged kits supposedly dont work for the Cavaliers/sunfires so your stuck with getting the smaller pullies and basic bolt ons. And just like jackalope said, you should intercool/aftercool it before you even think of installing a smaller pulley. I think the smallest pulley you can go with the GM Reflash anyway is a 3" pulley. After that i think something goes wrong along the lines of fuel I think, not 100% sure.

Friday, August 18, 2006 11:12 AM
I have an air to water intercooler. comes with factory supercharger kit for 02-04 cavalier. this is a roots type supercharger so the aftercooler is built into the new ported intake manifold installed. I have larger injectors installed as well
Friday, August 18, 2006 1:30 PM
jason loudenbeck wrote:I have an air to water intercooler. comes with factory supercharger kit for 02-04 cavalier. this is a roots type supercharger so the aftercooler is built into the new ported intake manifold installed. I have larger injectors installed as well

????????? I work for GM in the parts department of a GM performance parts dealership and all the supercharger kits that I've seen do not include the front mount intercooler or the pump or any of the parts in which to make it work. That would be your air to water intercooler and it does not come with the kit for the Cavalier or Sunfire.
That ported intake you have IS part of the intercooler. An after cooler is used to drop exhaust temps in big trucks and some forms of heavy equipment.

You CAN purchase seperatly the front mount intercooler and the pump and tank and lines and install them yourself but you need to do some modding on the front bumper and radiator core area but it is possible.

Now since you apparently already have the intercooler set up and larger injectors then all you need is a smaller pulley. There are a couple companies that do sell different size pullies for the Cobalt and they work just fine for Cavl's with the supercharger. I can't remember the names but if you hit Cobalt SS .Com I'm sure you can find them out.

Just remember that if you go toooo small you need to remove the blower and send it out to have the front end with the pully housing machined down to fit the smaller pulley. But supposedly theres only 1 that requires that level of work.

Since you already have the intercooler and the pump heres a free HP tip. In the summer disconnect the heater core hoses and add a "T" so the intercooler liquid runs into the heater core. Since the heater core is located after the A/C evaporater the cold air from the air conditioning will supercool the intercooler liquid further dropping its temperature and makeing the air entering the engine that much colder. We have seen gains of almost a 1/2 a second at the track useing this trick. And it doesn't hurt anything!

Good luck!

Friday, August 18, 2006 1:33 PM
In case that wasn't clear you would disconect the heater core from getting the hot radiator fluid and reconnect it to the lines used for the intercooler instead. Hit the A/C and watch your #'s drop as the air temp does.

Sorry for any confusion.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search