want to 300 hp - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
want to 300 hp
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 11:47 PM
yea i looken to 250 to 300 hp out of my 05 cav what can do i dont want to do a turbo or superchanger i know it kind of hard but what the best power add i can do i got header and cold air high flow and cat back but i want more

Re: want to 300 hp
Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:32 AM
stage 2 cams might net you 10+whp
Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:54 PM
300wheel on n/a?

go ahead and get some HC pistons coming, youll also need a tune and some decent cams.

might have to spray also.
Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:54 PM
also plan to put some decent work into the head.
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 9:13 AM
try a throttle body, intake port and polish, higher compression pistons, intercooler maybe? i would also dyno your car often once you are close, i think the engines stock parts are good unitill 250hp.
i think that 200hp is a little more realistic than 300hp, but best of luck to you. and be sure to post lots of pictures when you finish your car.
Monday, January 16, 2006 4:34 PM
n/a is actually harder do make that much power but boost wheather it be nitrious, turbo ect. those would be easier if you know what your doing but it could be a little difficult

Its Pronounced {TEAR I AL}
YEAH THE ORANGE BITCH CAR HIT FASTER THEN YOUR HONDA!!!!!!
hit a 15.43 on intake and cat back in wendover
Monday, January 16, 2006 4:40 PM
but yea if you really wanted to go all motor then yea high compression pistons lik 11:1 or 12:1 would be nice and a cnc port and polish and since the injectors are in the head and not the intake runners then you probably get away with polishing to a mirror intake and exhaust and make sure that your exhaust manifold is a little bigger diameter so that it can " scavengde" the exhaust out of the motor more effectieantly you probably should get like a 3 or 5 angle vaulve grind but if its only race then i would go with 7 thats all i can think of off the top of my head at the present moment oh and maybe a stand alone it can be possible

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 2:35 PM
you might be able to achieve 300hp N/A but you would need a few expensive things.

1. lightened knife edged crank
2. forged "H" beam rods
3. high and I do mean hig compression pistons 12-14:1
4. larger valves (intakes particularly)
5. port and polished head
6.big cams on the order of stage 5-6
7. header with big runners 1 3/4 at least and 32" runners
8. 3" exhaust
9.individual throttle bodies
10. stand alone fuel amnagement
11. many hours on the dyno to tune
Or you could spend less and buy a new mustang GT and have the 300hp

"Racing is life Everything else is just waiting"
Phil
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:32 AM
i agree with phil except the mustang part hahhahaha

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 10:00 AM
BewstAdd1ct wrote:also plan to put some decent work into the head.

wow for once i actually agree with you.
whats the highest compression that these can handle?
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 7:12 PM
how big is your budget?

Phil

Friday, January 20, 2006 10:03 AM
Philip Rodda wrote:how big is your budget?

whats the highest compression it can handle? what else can you do to reinforce the head? not concerned about price, looking for a limit.
Saturday, January 21, 2006 7:56 PM
James N wrote:try a throttle body, intake port and polish, higher compression pistons, intercoolermaybe? i would also dyno your car often once you are close, i think the engines stock parts are good unitill 250hp.
i think that 200hp is a little more realistic than 300hp, but best of luck to you. and be sure to post lots of pictures when you finish your car.

Yeah I heard intercoolers make around 50whp on a N/A motor. ROFL.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Monday, January 23, 2006 12:33 PM
haha intercooler cools warm air does it not? increasing compression increases heat does it not?
no really, correct me if what i am saying is wrong. i thought that looked off too.
Monday, January 23, 2006 1:50 PM
Yes raising the comp raises the temps but how do you propose to run an intercooler in the cylinders ? No I'm not being smart I'm just asking as apparently an intercooler can do something I didn't know it could. Any information would be welcomed.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 6:54 AM
Fire Fighter wrote:
James N wrote:try a throttle body, intake port and polish, higher compression pistons, intercoolermaybe? i would also dyno your car often once you are close, i think the engines stock parts are good unitill 250hp.

Yeah I heard intercoolers make around 50whp on a N/A motor. ROFL.

increasing compression increases chances of detonation, by doing so you are doing nearly the same damn thing as forced induction, where detonation becomes an issue.

before you post a reply, do a search on google or yahoo for 'effective compression ratio' and use some logic.
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:00 AM
Quote:

increasing compression increases chances of detonation, by doing so you are doing nearly the same damn thing as forced induction, where detonation becomes an issue.

i did the search, i didnt find much that i could access but agreed, it makes sense i guess, even went to that how stuff works site, like a true noob tard
Sunday, February 19, 2006 9:10 AM
You are all fools. An engine with no boost will not be helped at all by an intercooler because an intercooler works to cool the air that is super heated by the compression of the turbo. In fact the intercooler will probably heat the air up going into the non-boosted engine if its an air-to-water intercooler since the engine water is hotter than the air its trying to cool. All the air-to-air intercooler is trying to do is cool the air back down to the temperature it started as.

Go read howstuffworks you noobs.
Monday, February 20, 2006 1:48 PM
Chris Hatter wrote:You are all fools. An engine with no boost will not be helped at all by an intercooler because an intercooler works to cool the air that is super heated by the compression of the turbo. In fact the intercooler will probably heat the air up going into the non-boosted engine if its an air-to-water intercooler since the engine water is hotter than the air its trying to cool. All the air-to-air intercooler is trying to do is cool the air back down to the temperature it started as.

Go read howstuffworks you noobs.

where the hell are the moderators on this site? do what the guy above said, looks like it goes a little beyond what some homo who can operate a howstuffworks site thinks.
what happens when you increase compression vs what happens when you add/increase boost.

one more thing:

Monday, February 20, 2006 2:35 PM
the question of how high can the compression be pushed is simple there is a limit and it is the head when the piston touches the head at TDC you have reached the maximum. reality is 12-14:1 is verry doable I think even 16:1 is possible but you would be running alcahol at that point.

Phil
Sunday, February 26, 2006 2:47 PM
Ok if you add a intercooler to a non boosted car it will help cool it down. If it really makes 50hp i dont really think so but i dont know. ITs not that hard. Air filter to intercooler to T/B. Just like i said it will cool down the air more but im not sure if its even going to matter on the whole "i want 300hp" matter.
Jason

Monday, February 27, 2006 12:37 PM
an intercooler will do nothing unless you are picking up hot air and then cooling it wil the ambient air outside. This would be stupid because a much easier way to get ambient temperature air is with....wait for it.....a cold air intake. bingo....ambient temperature air without an intercooler.
The reason boosted or supercharged engines need an intercooler is because after the air is compressed either in the supercharger or turbo, the air is heated, it must then be cooled back down again without loosing pressure so it is sent through an intercooler to try to get it closer to the temperature of the outside air. This does not apply to normally aspirated engines so they do not use intercoolers.

02 LS Sport http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135396
68 Firebird http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135556
56 GMC http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135587
66 Suburban http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135589
Monday, February 27, 2006 10:48 PM
what about ones with higher compression? read what the guy said above, do his search.
a cold air intake does dick for a car sitting idle, thats why dyno numbers with a cai and a sri are somewhat identical. the idea is to prevent detonation, the intercooler is mounted on the front of a car for a reason, when actually driving, it gets cooled even more....same as the radiator. if everything remained at ambient temperature, we wouldnt have detonation.
Sunday, March 05, 2006 9:32 PM
if you blow 70* air over an intercooler that contains 70* air it will not cool any more...thats what you get if you intercool a NA car. Now if by compressing the 70*air through a turbo heats that air to 150*, you can cool it down by blowing 70* air over an intercooler which contains 150* compressed air...think about it

if you want a cooler intake charge use water/methanol injection. Putting an intercooler on the end of your cold air intake is only changing the point where you pick up cold air, not cooling it any more than the cold air you already are picking up. High compression doesnt influence the induction temperatures one bit, it influences the cylinder pressures inside the engine. Higher pressures in the cylinders make spontaneous combustion easier(pre-ignition or detonation). There are a few ways to remedy this. Retard the timing, cool the intake charge or decrease the fuel's tendency to spontaneously combust(make it slower to burn by increasing the octane). This is where the cool intake charge comes into play to increase power, or really to decrease power loss due to retarded timing to avoid detonation.

in NA cars there are a couple ways to decrease intake temps which in turn helps with detonation. Picking up a cooler charge by relocating the intake or by cooling the air by misting water into the intake(water evaporation absorbs heat which cools the air). People have been injecting water in order to cool the intake air to make more power for many years and it has proven very effective. Look into this more if you want cooler than ambient air temperatures to your intake.

02 LS Sport http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135396
68 Firebird http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135556
56 GMC http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135587
66 Suburban http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135589
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search