Boosting an Automatic? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Boosting an Automatic?
Monday, February 12, 2007 6:16 PM
I am new to the performance part of the car world. My old roommate got me looking at some options with different cars. Right now I have a 05 cavalier that is an auto. I have been thinking about boosting it but don't know the easiest way to do this. My friend suggested a tranny swap with a turbo. I like the turbos but I am wondering if it would be easier to just put a supercharger on it. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Thanks.

JB

JB

Re: Boosting an Automatic?
Monday, February 12, 2007 8:57 PM
Trust me, a transmission swap isn't really realistic if all your looking for more power...

Your 4T40E, if well taken care of, can handle it just fine. You can turbo charge your car but it'll have to be custom. There isn't any auto transmission turbocharge setups and you can't use a manual turbo charger kit because of the difference in room around your engine and routing charge piping.

If you want, I can point you back to some write ups I wrote to give you an good idea of what you're getting yourself into.

It could be easier to supercharger but it just depends on what you want to do. Look into the GM Supercharger Kit. Very simple and easy to get into but do your research before hand.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, February 18, 2007 9:04 AM
you should be fine boosting your automatic.... mine has held up good, and i have pushed it into the 12's with my only tranny mods being a cooler, temp gauge, and increasing the shift pressures

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Tuesday, February 20, 2007 6:12 PM
Hey thanks for the input. I was just wondering if you used a Supercharger or a turbo. Thanks.

JB
Wednesday, February 21, 2007 7:57 PM
Boog wrote:Hey thanks for the input. I was just wondering if you used a Supercharger or a turbo. Thanks.

turbo.... garrett 60trim

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Friday, April 20, 2007 11:54 AM
I have a 4dr 05 automatic Cav. I have been told i cant make is Race worthy. so naturally i need to prove them wrong. Can anyone help me. i need a mod that costs little but gains alot?
Friday, April 20, 2007 1:43 PM
Native Racer wrote:I have a 4dr 05 automatic Cav. I have been told i cant make is Race worthy. so naturally i need to prove them wrong. Can anyone help me. i need a mod that costs little but gains alot?

That's an oxymoron.

Friday, April 20, 2007 11:24 PM
Lol whitch part
Friday, April 20, 2007 11:26 PM
Disregaurd last. What I mean is i need anything right now that will give me even a little extra horse with out making my bank go past zero.
Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:49 PM
Well the thing is that if you can't really afford to modify, you shouldn't do it and it wouldn't be worth doing.

Instead of trying to get as much power out of your car, first make a goal and see if this approach will get you there. See what you want out of the car ultimately.

And I was saying that "i need a mod that costs little but gains alot?" was a oxymoron.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search