Ion Redline SC Question - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ion Redline SC Question
Friday, April 06, 2007 6:36 PM
I have a 05 2.2L Ecotec Sunfire and my buddy has a 06 Saturn Ion Redline. He put a stage 2 kit on his car with a replaced SC and has his old stock SC with a 2.5" pully on it. So heres the question.... Would the stock SC bolt up and if not what modifications would i need to do to make it fit. (since it has a smaller pully on it i would be doing some other work to the motor before i put it on)

Re: Ion Redline SC Question
Friday, April 06, 2007 9:47 PM
Yes. You could use the supercharger but please don't run it with the 2.5" pulley on it...

There is more than likely a reason why he had to even replace it.

You would also need the manifold as well as other parts along with it.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, April 06, 2007 11:04 PM
thanks much..... i will find out what all he replaced and see what else i need to put it on. i will go back to the stock 3.5 pulley but i will have to order it because he cracked his.

anything else u recommend before i decide to put this on??
Friday, April 06, 2007 11:33 PM
Tim Meinhart wrote:thanks much..... i will find out what all he replaced and see what else i need to put it on. i will go back to the stock 3.5 pulley but i will have to order it because he cracked his.

anything else u recommend before i decide to put this on??

Jeez...what the heck is your friend doing to his car?!

What are you using for fuel/engine management?

Friday, April 06, 2007 11:34 PM
Moving to Boost Forum

Saturday, April 07, 2007 12:39 AM
My question is: Why did he remove the original super charger? I've heard horror stories of guys trying to install the stage 2 pullies themselves, without the proper tooling setup and warping the supercharger shaft. I would make sure the shaft is "true" before spending too much money on parts.
Saturday, April 07, 2007 3:00 AM
HAZMATT wrote:My question is: Why did he remove the original super charger? I've heard horror stories of guys trying to install the stage 2 pullies themselves, without the proper tooling setup and warping the supercharger shaft. I would make sure the shaft is "true" before spending too much money on parts.

Agreed.

Saturday, April 07, 2007 2:55 PM
i couldnt tell ya y he replaced it or what hes doing to his car but IMO he runs it way to hard for what it is.

ill get the whole thing checked out before i even decide to buy it off him. since he said he cracked the stock pulley id rather have someone look at it before i put up the cash.

before i even bolt it up if i do get it i was thinking on putting more work into the engine itself just for safe measures because of the pulley size thats on it. but if things do start to come together i was thinking more in the ways of getting hp tuners and theres a shop out here with a dyno jet dyno that i would have tune it for me.
Saturday, April 07, 2007 2:59 PM
im still kind of a newb when it comes down to all this so any recommendations would be much appreciated
Saturday, April 07, 2007 3:05 PM
Tim Meinhart wrote:i couldnt tell ya y he replaced it or what hes doing to his car but IMO he runs it way to hard for what it is.

ill get the whole thing checked out before i even decide to buy it off him. since he said he cracked the stock pulley id rather have someone look at it before i put up the cash.

before i even bolt it up if i do get it i was thinking on putting more work into the engine itself just for safe measures because of the pulley size thats on it. but if things do start to come together i was thinking more in the ways of getting hp tuners and theres a shop out here with a dyno jet dyno that i would have tune it for me.

Your friend sounds very inexperienced.

What I think he did was mess up a bearing inside the supercharger. I personally WOULD NOT buy it. It is not a natural thing to change superchargers especially on a relatively new car. I'm suprised he hasn't blow up his engine as of yet...or maybe he did but you didn't say anything. 2.5" pullies push the M62 supercharger WAY pass it's efficiency point...basically, it creates more heat than CFM of airflow which will raise his IATs (Intake Air Temperature) extremely, which will raise his combustion chamber temperatures and can coincidentally and EASILY cause detonation.

There is alot to it that he has to cointeract with in order to even be somewhat remotely safe with that size pulley on his supercharger but he ultimately reduced the life of it and I think he basically killed it already with the original supercharger.

I would say, don't buy it.

As far as your engine, with a 3.5" pulley (stock size) you should be fine. Get HP Tuners and possibly read as much about Engine Management Systems and how they work. Get a good understanding.

Saturday, April 07, 2007 7:43 PM
Thanks for the info... looks like more money i gotta spend on charging it

im still prob going to see if he will let me take it to someone to get checked out just incase its not to messed up.

i know alittle about all this but im no pro yet

and as far as i know he didnt blow is motor at all cus he just had it out the other day. right now its in the garage getting a big brake kit put on.

Saturday, April 07, 2007 9:19 PM
Tim Meinhart wrote:Thanks for the info... looks like more money i gotta spend on charging it

im still prob going to see if he will let me take it to someone to get checked out just incase its not to messed up.

i know alittle about all this but im no pro yet

and as far as i know he didnt blow is motor at all cus he just had it out the other day. right now its in the garage getting a big brake kit put on.

Good luck with all that.

Last resort, look into the GM Supercharger Kit.

Sunday, April 08, 2007 3:56 AM
thanks ill need it..... will do if all else fails
Monday, April 09, 2007 6:56 AM
You're welcome

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search