Cobalt SS/SC motor into a cavi will it work - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt SS/SC motor into a cavi will it work
Monday, April 09, 2007 5:13 PM
I was wondering if the cobalt 2.0 S/C motor will fit rate into a cavalier wit a 2.2 eco

Re: Cobalt SS/SC motor into a cavi will it work
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:41 PM
Physically Fit? Yes.

Logical swap, No.

Understand that the L61 from the J-body and the LSJ are basically the same dimensions, so that shouldn't be the question to ask. What do you need in order to swap. To put it lightly, EVERYTHING out of a Cobalt. Re-wire the whole vehicle.

It is defenitely not a logical swap because for one, you'd have to find a donaro SS/SC or Ion Redline. You'd have to buy it, then swap everything in and re-wire everything as well as the fuel system & ignition controller.

There are so many differences between the 2 besides the engine specs because you are talking about two different platformed vehicles.

You're MUCH better off supercharging your 2.2 ECOTEC (assuming you have one). GM sells a supercharger kit that will and has produced better results than a stock Cobalt SS/SC or Ion Redline.

Go that route.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 3:22 AM
I have to whole swap my cobalt got hit the other day really bad i dont know if it is total yet but if it is thats wat i want to do.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 1:00 PM
Jared B wrote:I have to whole swap my cobalt got hit the other day really bad i dont know if it is total yet but if it is thats wat i want to do.

You have a Cobalt and a Cavalier?

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:36 PM
ya i had the cavi b4 i got the Cobalt i just keeped it just in case

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 6:15 PM
Jared B wrote:ya i had the cavi b4 i got the Cobalt i just keeped it just in case

Oh ok.

I guess it's up to you.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 1:47 PM
so u think this would work

Thursday, April 12, 2007 8:52 PM
Jared B wrote:so u think this would work

I'll just say I think it won't be a easy feat if it does work. It's too much work just for a engine...

Friday, April 13, 2007 1:28 PM
why not buy the ecu flash or other parts from gm and just use the set up off the ss, not change the whole motor just the parts to charge it.
Friday, April 13, 2007 4:48 PM
wat do u mean by that

Friday, April 13, 2007 11:11 PM
brad eisenhauer wrote:why not buy the ecu flash or other parts from gm and just use the set up off the ss, not change the whole motor just the parts to charge it.

You can't use a Cobalt reflash on the Cavaliers PCM. Totally different computers (if this is what you're asking).

Because of this, it has a totally different wiring setup and he'd have to change it over in order to use the engine. I'll give you 1 reason for example why you would need the PCM, the LSJs use a Camshaft Position Sensor, the L61 (in the j-body) doesn't.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 1:02 PM
no i meant get the re flash for the cavi, but use the parts from the ss not the whole motor, just the parts they sell in the kit for the cavi 2.2, and they would probably sell him the re flash code he needs to re flash the cavi pcm
Monday, April 16, 2007 5:44 AM
brad eisenhauer wrote:no i meant get the re flash for the cavi, but use the parts from the ss not the whole motor, just the parts they sell in the kit for the cavi 2.2, and they would probably sell him the re flash code he needs to re flash the cavi pcm

Oh ok. Yeah, that's what I was originally suggesting.

Monday, May 14, 2007 7:39 AM
you could put the LSJ into a jbody easily.

the problem is the electronics

there's this thing cast in the crankshaft called a reluctor ring that gives the crank position sensor its signal so the ecu can determine when to fire the ignition. It is not removable, swappable, and you cannot grind the teeth down on the LSJ ring.

the L61 has a 7 tooth ring and the new ecotecs (NEW L61s, LE5, LSJ and LNF) all have 58 tooth ring.. so called "hi resolution" ignitions

you cannot get the jbody computer to accept the 58x ring signal and vice versa. rewiring the cavalier with the cobalts wiring would be one way.. but then your gauges no longer work (as I doubt the plug for the cluster is the same, or the signals coming through the wires)

you could run the LSJ on a stand alone ecu but the car would never be able to pass inspection ever again (OBD2 cars must have a functioning emissions control system or else no go.. even if it passes smog sniffer test).

also, the ecotecs are only easily swappable into 2000 or newer jbodies.. just fyi

I'm building an LSJ for turbo and putting it into my cavalier, but I'm going to be using a forged L61 7x crank (bringing the LSJ up to 2.2 liters just like the L61) so I don't have to worry about the reluctor ring problem

Thursday, June 07, 2007 8:22 PM
Could I put a GM supercharger on an automatic 04 4 door cavalier LS?
Thursday, June 07, 2007 9:41 PM
javier Lizarraga wrote:Could I put a GM supercharger on an automatic 04 4 door cavalier LS?

Yes.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search